Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk 875-0049
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I want to install Windows 7 on a separate SSD hard drive on an HP Omen Obelisk and when I try to, the keyboard, mouse a and everything freezes.

I installed it (on a different PC) and it is working fine, made all the updates, but as soon as I install my SSD in the Omen, it freezes..

Thanks in advance for your help.....

Burgies

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

It is not possible to install W7 on that platform.

The reason the KB and mouse freeze is because there are no such thing as USB 3.1 drivers for W7 and the USB 2 ports won't work until after Windows is installed and the chipset driver is installed.

Since you can't install the chipset driver before W7 is installed, you can't install W7.

The only Windows OS you can run on that PC is W10.

No fixes, no workarounds.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

It is not possible to install W7 on that platform.

The reason the KB and mouse freeze is because there are no such thing as USB 3.1 drivers for W7 and the USB 2 ports won't work until after Windows is installed and the chipset driver is installed.

Since you can't install the chipset driver before W7 is installed, you can't install W7.

The only Windows OS you can run on that PC is W10.

No fixes, no workarounds.

HP Recommended

Tank you for the answer.

This is what I tought, but I was trying to find a way to do it  and now you have convince me to stop trying.............

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, raise the white flag of surrender.  😊

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.