Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp pavillion gaming desktop 690-0011NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

just curious but with the 180w PSU installed in the computer would it be safe to overclock knowing that hp put their power limit to 100%

here is a picture of the stock settings set by hp that I haven't touched. Thanks.Screenshot 2019-12-31 08.35.59.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ali-A, I am sorry that I got a bit off of the subject, but the GPU will most likely be the same scenario.  Again, as you stated, the 180W PSU is not going to provide enough power to allow it to be overclocked.  You can certainly give it a try.  The GPU won't be damaged if it doesn't work.  Afterburner will simply reset everything to its original specs.

Q: also can i have ur pc 

A: That would be a big, No!! 😉   It took me 73 years to get a computer with all of the top of the line components.  I can't give it up that easily.  Sorry!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Ali-A , welcome to the forum.

If your processor is the original i5-8400 it can't be overclocked.  The only versions that can be overclocked end in a "K".  This means that the multiplier has been unlocked to allow OC'ing.  There are no upgrades for the processor that do allow overclocking.  The reason is, as you stated, the 180W PSU is not powerful enough to allow it to work properly.  MSI Afterburner would simply revert to the original settings for that reason.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

what about the gpu?

HP Recommended

also can i have ur pc 🙂

HP Recommended

@Ali-A, I am sorry that I got a bit off of the subject, but the GPU will most likely be the same scenario.  Again, as you stated, the 180W PSU is not going to provide enough power to allow it to be overclocked.  You can certainly give it a try.  The GPU won't be damaged if it doesn't work.  Afterburner will simply reset everything to its original specs.

Q: also can i have ur pc 

A: That would be a big, No!! 😉   It took me 73 years to get a computer with all of the top of the line components.  I can't give it up that easily.  Sorry!

HP Recommended

thanks ill give it a go

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Ali-A!  I am always glad to help.

HP Recommended

I managed to overclock my memory to 3200+mhz and my boost clock to 1902mhz and ran a stress test hopefully it will hold up, however I'm not seeing a boost in performance do you know what may he happening as msi afterburner isn't reverting whatever I do so it cant be for that reason

HP Recommended

@Ali-A, when small changes are made during OC'ing, it is very difficult to see the performance increases.  Our eyes are not able to perceive those changes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.