Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 880-068 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hey so i was wondering would i be able to upgrade to a 1660ti on this and if not what would be the best one i could upgrade to

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-000-desktop-pc-series/15776604/model/22506254/do...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, the Ryzen 5 is going to have the speed of the Ryzen 7, just doesnt have the extra cores.

It really all depends on the game and/or how you use your system.

Its really subjective and I will just offer my generalized opinion.

I would probably go with the PSU and GPU upgrade.

I would really weigh the reviews before I jump in and buy a 1660 yet since its so new.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

HEllo @hiiisway 

There is no such thing as a 1660ti, so I assume you may have meant a 1050ti.

If so, yes you can with your setup the way it is. You would want to measure the length of space the new card would take up, as to make sure there is enough room.

Anything more powerful and you would have to also upgrade the power supply to something larger than the existing 300w PSU.

Is this what you needed to know? Let me know.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Sorry.

Its specs show it required a minumum of 500W PSU and takes 3 rear slots.

Since you only have a 300W, you would have to upgrade the power supply.

You should still be ok as far a room is concerned.

HP Recommended

ok so would u recommend i upgrade the psu and then get the 1660 or upgrade the cpu and gpu to a r7 1700 and a 1050ti and which option would increase fps

HP Recommended

Well, the Ryzen 5 is going to have the speed of the Ryzen 7, just doesnt have the extra cores.

It really all depends on the game and/or how you use your system.

Its really subjective and I will just offer my generalized opinion.

I would probably go with the PSU and GPU upgrade.

I would really weigh the reviews before I jump in and buy a 1660 yet since its so new.

HP Recommended

thanks for the help tho but actually one more thing do i get a 500w psu or more

HP Recommended

Depends on the card you buy. That Omen desktop uses a full size ATX PSU.

I would make sure of the card requirements and go with at least the minimum it asks for.

If you find a higher wattage PSU on sale for a better price than a 500w, then go with that.

Make sure the PSU has the proper 6 or 8 pin connectors for the card you purchase.

HP Recommended

can u go on amazon and find the 500w and 1660ti i would need and link it plz

HP Recommended

Its really not something I can recommend since that card is so new, there arent any reviews to go by.

Ill just point to an example only.

These would work together...

Amazon.com: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 

Amazon.com: EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.