Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop PC 15-en1000 (2L1F2AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

I have an HP Omen 15 laptop with AMD Ryzen 5800H and RTX 3060 GPU (32 GB RAM)

Sometimes, randomly, AMD Radeon Software will consume really high power with no significant CPU or GPU use, and when the computer is totally idle.

Here is a screenshot of the same: [Content Removed]

As you can see, the power consumption is really high and temperatures reach over 92 degrees even when the laptop is idle.

This is not a new problem. I have been facing this exact issue since the very first Windows installation on this laptop. After that, I have uninstalled and reinstalled not only Windows but also AMD Radeon Software and GPU drivers multiple times over and over again. I even used DDU from Guru3D for clean driver reinstallation.

Nothing has helped so far. This problem happens randomly many times, every day at least once.

It does not happen when I install AMD Adrenaline edition drivers. However, the HP driver of AMD Radeon is causing this problem.

Please help me with how to fix this?

Does anyone face this same problem on their laptop?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @RayoViBE 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thanks for your response.

From what I have understood, AMD Radeon Software is consuming high power even when the CPU and GPU are idle. Do not worry, we are here to help you with it. 

I would suggest you update all the drivers and let me know the outcome of it. Here is a link that will help: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2857204-2362249-16 

If the issue persists, follow the steps below and let me know: 

1. Uninstall the HP driver of AMD Software.

2. Install (after factory-reset ticked) the AMD Adrenaline Edition from the AMD website.

3. Restart the computer.

4. Disable automatic manufacturer driver updates from the Group Policy editor in Windows. This will prevent Windows from automatically downloading and installing HP drivers for AMD.

This will help you solve the high power usage problems.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello!

We haven’t heard from you in a while, this post is with reference to the thread you had created at your  

friendly neighborhood (HP Support Community). 

I would like to know if the resolution we provided worked for you? If you have any other queries, feel free to reply at any time, and thank you for being a valuable member of our HP Family. 

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, go to the public post & give us a virtual high-five by clicking the "Thumbs Up" icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on my public post. 

Have a great day ahead! 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi RayoViBE,

If you could provide more information, for example operating system and driver versions, and usage instances when you see this happen, someone might be able to offer some further guidance.

Kind Regards,
Andrew Robinson.
HP Recommended

Hello @RayoViBE 

In your case:

- The notebook should normally be disassembled and checked

- Thermal paste for CPU GPU and bridges should be renewed.

- Furthermore, the function of the fan must be checked.

- General cleaning ...

If you can't do that, you should have it serviced by a professional notebook repair store.

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Do this on the post I wrote that helped solve it.

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

I have completely uninstalled the HP AMD Driver and installed (with factory reset) the AMD Adrenaline Edition drivers from AMD.

Although the power and overheating problems are gone, a new problem has arisen.

When I play games with vertical sync off, then certain games display visible graphical artefacts or glitches when I press the volume up or down button and the volume bar is displayed at the left corner.

The glitches only display when the bar appears, and when the volume bar disappears, the glitches don't display.

However, if I turn on vertical sync in the games, then the artefacts or glitches do not appear.

How do I fix this issue? 

HP Recommended

Hello @RayoViBE 

You have to use proprietary HP AMD drivers only !

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Do this on the post I wrote that helped solve it.

Thank you very much

⌨️

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.