Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming 15-dk0006nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

FIrstly, some info about the laptop: 
HP Pavilion Gaming 15-dk0006nw

CPU: Intel Core i5-9300H
iGPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
dGPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti with Max-Q Design
BIOS: Insyde F.20
Motherboard: 85FB 42.34

It is more of a question regarding the update of the BIOS. I'm currently running on Insyde F.20 22.11.2019 (Windows 10 as the OS installed, 64 bit) and I've been looking to update it. HP Support Assistant app does not provide any kind of update for said BIOS, even though I've changed its settings to show/notify me (but not install automatically) when ANY update is available, yet if I visit HP website to download drivers and identify my device - it shows me that there is an update available. BIOS Version: F.50 Rev.A

Operating systems: Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date: Sep 12, 2021

File name: sp134479.exe (direct download link)
Release notes say that compatible devices are:
HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S):
HP Pavilion Gaming 15 Laptop
HP Pavilion Gaming 17 Laptop

Which is rather vague, there are plenty of laptop models under the name of "HP Pavilion Gaming 15 Laptop"
I even went through and made recovery usb stick for the BIOS and peeked inside, in HP (or) Hewlett-Packard>BIOS>Current
there are files named 085FA and 085FD (saved as .bin and as .s12 files) which (I assume) refer to the motherboard model, 85FB (or 085FB) is not there.

I have also tried contacting HP support directly (via the chat option) in order to get any kind of information, there is no such option for the country I'm in/where the laptop was purchased (and I don't want to find local HP service location/drive there only to ask a question) - so I went with default option suggested by the website - US. 
I've received information that I will get no support because the device is non-US even if I was just asking for the info regarding BIOS.

Here is my question, is that BIOS update compatible with my laptop? I know most people would say "if it works, don't touch it" - but considering the BIOS version I'm running and the available one - there has been  plenty of updates going on, some security focused and performance improvements (along with compatibility with Windows in some older versions too) 
I'd really appreciate any kind of response in regards to this. I'll provide additional details if necessary.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

All I can tell you is that when you run the BIOS update, it should check your notebook for compatibility before installing.

If you look a the previous versions listed on the support page, all of the 'SUPERSEDES:' match up with the previous versions listed.

For example:  Take the current one F.50.  According to the release notes, it supersedes sp112472.

Sp112472 is listed under that one.  Open that file and see which one it supersedes...F.40 (sp111888).  And F.20 is listed on the support page, and so on.

I would find it hard to believe that for the last two years, HP has all of the wrong BIOS updates listed on the support page.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

All I can tell you is that when you run the BIOS update, it should check your notebook for compatibility before installing.

If you look a the previous versions listed on the support page, all of the 'SUPERSEDES:' match up with the previous versions listed.

For example:  Take the current one F.50.  According to the release notes, it supersedes sp112472.

Sp112472 is listed under that one.  Open that file and see which one it supersedes...F.40 (sp111888).  And F.20 is listed on the support page, and so on.

I would find it hard to believe that for the last two years, HP has all of the wrong BIOS updates listed on the support page.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I have successfully updated to F.50 (even though the installation process is genuinely terrifying, gets me every time).
I'll go ahead an mark your post as the solution 😅

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I agree with you that it is indeed terrifying!

I have a 1-year-old HP Envy x360-ee0047nr notebook, and all I can say is I cross my fingers and hope that the BIOS updates go well.  They go on for what it seems like forever.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.