Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17-w249tx (1HQ36PA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Today I noticed that my laptop's battery is majorly swollen, and thus have stopped using it for now.

My question is can I remove the battery and run it only plugged in?

And coming to replacing it, is there a spare part number for the battery to get it from a 3rd party? I'm not able to confirm the correct number using the documentation online as some of the specifications do not line up with what I have, and I do not want to order the wrong one.

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@AmbH

How long out of warranty is it?

One of the other Experts here as asked the Admins to see if there is anything HP can do for that.

In the mean time, yes you can disconnect the bad battery and run the laptop on AC power only.

There will be a spare part number on the battery that you can use to replace it with.

It should be this one... 853294-855.

HP Recommended

@AmbH

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Support Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi thanks for providing the spare part number!

I believe I bought this around May 2017, so I think it has been out of warranty for a while now? anything can be done that would be amazing. Please let me know as soon as possible as I was considering taking it to a hardware store to remove the battery since warranty is up.

HP Recommended

@Cheron-Z

Thank you for forwarding the details of the issue to HP!

HP Recommended

Your welcome. Wait to see what HP says, they might help you out anyways and that would be better.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. I bought mine March 2017 so it is out of warranty as well and I just noticed today the bottom right section is swollen. It's never had high temps or anything like that. I use it plugged in only. I have only used it briefly like 1 or 2 times without it being plugged in. I haven't noticed a change in performance. Can I just leave it as it? Is it safe? What do I do???

HP Recommended

@them20eyes

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

You probably have tried it by then but yes you can run without the battery. This is what I'm currently doing with my Omen 17-W104nf.

I've replaced the battery myself once (no service center in the country I'm living in) and a year later or so it started swelling too. I'm living in the tropics so temperatures are quite high, which may explain the swelling. Power is not very stable either. In both cases it's borderline acceptable that HP batteries swell so easilly, but hey that's the price to pay for playing two hours without power on an gaming laptop I guess. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

Battery of my laptop, HP Omen w105TX, has swollen a few days back. Since HP doesn't sell the replacement battery (853294-855),  I will be thankful if someone from HP can tell me if I can use the laptop in this condition. So far I have not experienced any issue in performance or charging.

I want to try searching and installing a third party battery if it is really is required.

Regards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.