Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-dc0508na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it me or whenever there's a big Windows update, the sound quality goes right down either instantly or after a day or two. I've noticed this a couple of times over the last year and couldn't quite put my finger on it at first. But then I realised it happens right after a big Windows update which happens a couple of times a year. I've also begun to suspect that this is something to do with the compatibility between the latest Windows updates and the Realtek audio drivers. 

I've checked all the relevant settings (although I could be missing something) and nothing seems to work. I've even uninstalled the Realtek drivers which re-install themselves after reboot. That works for a bit but then the sound goes back to low again. As when I've tried to manually download the Realtek drivers from either the HP site or via the HP Support Assistant, it sometimes says something along the line of "these drivers are not compatible with this current version of Windows 10". 

So what is the answer? Do we have to wait for Realtek to catch up to the latest Windows version every time or is this a HP issue? I can hear the sound at the moment 'okay' but it's nowhere near as clear or loud even at full volume, as it usually is.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Dr-Soong0101
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
Let's try these steps:

• On your, Key Board press Windows key + X 
  • Press M to open Device Manager 
  • Expand "Audio input and outputs ".
  • Right-click on the current Audio driver driver
  • Click Properties 
  • Click on the Driver tab 
  • Click on Rollback driver if the option is available

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've already done this. It's not perfect but it works.

I've come to a conclusion that is is a conflict with the Realtek drivers and HP Audio Control whenever there's a big Window's update. It would be nice if both Realtek and HP released the compatible drivers/software as soon as these big Windows Updates drop rather than waiting weeks if not months as usual. In an attempt to rectify sound issues, we're forced to rollback drivers to previous versions in the meantime. 

HP Recommended

@Dr-Soong0101

Thank you for posting back. 

Are you able to fix the issue by performing driver rollback?

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already told you, I rolled back the driver before you even suggested it. The sound isn't perfect and at the levels it 'should' be but better than it was which was very very low.

HP Recommended

@Dr-Soong0101
Thank you for posting back. 

The last thing I can suggest trying is a restore back to the factory. Performing an HP system recovery (Windows ) While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Why would I (or anybody else), wish to spend the entire day backing up all my personal files and re-downloding updates, apps and games in order to fix a problem that appears to partially HP's fault? Restoring is always the nuclear option.

With all due respect, at this point it appears you're clutching at straws and trying to justify your job/existence as a customer service representative and wasting my time. Instead of doing this, try talking to your bosses and getting a Realtek or HP Audio Control Panel fix released.

No, your answer isn't getting 'accepted as the solution' and please don't reply back and waste more of my time.

Kind Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.