Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-cb1055cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I currently have an open case with HP support for this issue, however I figured I’d try posting here in hopes of making some headway on a fix. I haven't received a response from HP since replying to their last email five days ago, nor since my follow-up earlier today.

About a month ago, I purchased an HP Omen 17-cb1055cl laptop and an Oculus Rift S VR headset. Both worked flawlessly together until the laptop updated the NVIDIA graphics drivers.

TL;DR: It’s not hardware. Driver rollback works. New driver version and headset work fine on non-HP laptop also using RTX2070. Seems to be a VBIOS problem based on known-but-fixed issue with MSI laptops.

The symptoms: Since the graphics drivers update, the Oculus Rift S will work for approximately 30 seconds, then the screen inside the headset goes black for a few seconds. Video comes back for about another 30 seconds and goes black again, but the second time it stays black. Audio still plays through the headset speakers, and I can still see the VR application running on the laptop monitor, including movement when the headset moves.

What’s been done so far: The issue started when Windows automatically updated the RTX2070 drivers from v442.76 to 451.67. I initially contacted Oculus for support and we performed quite a bit of troubleshooting. Latest Oculus drivers installed, USB power settings verified. Oculus software reinstalled, reseated cables, etc etc.

The fix that finally worked was to roll back the video drivers to 442.76. However since then, Windows 10 has updated to v2004, and 442.76 available from HP Support Center is no longer compatible. I’ve temporarily worked around this by installing 445.87 directly from NVIDIA and disabling automatic updates, but anything newer than that results in the issue returning.

My suspicion is that this is an issue with the laptop’s video BIOS (I have verified that the most recent F.14 Rev.A BIOS update for my laptop is installed). Oculus support mentioned a similar issue with MSI laptops VBIOS that required a patch from the manufacturer after a driver update, and that’s when they told me that they’d done all they can, and to contact HP.

Sure enough, I start digging online and came across multiple posts on various forums from mid-2019 of people with MSI laptops experiencing the same issue. Not just a random black screen issue, but the EXACT same set of very specific symptoms. Google "msi oculus black screen 30 seconds" and you’ll find it all.  The only difference is that it’s for an older driver version, but rolling back to an even older version was the band-aid for them, too. The end fix was a VBIOS update from MSI that allowed users to update their drivers again, and from what I can gather it was related to an HDCP issue on the DisplayPort.

Rolling the drivers back at least lets me use the Rift, but it’s a temporary fix. Sooner or later, Windows will update again or there will be something else that's incompatible and forces me to update. I know 100% it’s not a hardware issue. I have a friend with an Oculus Rift S using an MSI laptop, also an RTX2070 and it works fine on 451.67. My headset works fine on his laptop, and his gets the black screen when connected to my Omen.

So I suppose my question is – Is there anything more I can do myself other than sit and wait for HP to release an update at some point? Where do I turn next to get them to even look into this? HP Support’s last email suggestion was to 1) Update the VR headset via support.hp.com (the driver’s aren’t even on there…) and 2) Contact Oculus (already done multiple times), so I suspect HP isn't treating this as anything other than a 3rd party hardware issue.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@ManBearPiggins

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@TEJ1602

Thanks for your reply. I did receive a private message from an HP contact asking for details, though I have not received a response since then and they have not responded to my follow-up. I have also yet to receive a response from HP Support via email, and a second session with an HP chat support agent just went in circles. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.