Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi Fossette

Today I updated the latest graphics driver from nvidia and was almost unusable not booting black/grey screen could was even having trouble getting into recovery.  Recovery was showing on my tv and black screen on Omen. Anyway managed to get a system restore done and it is virtually the same as my previous post.

Cheers

HP Recommended

@Clarkie52 

Thank you for the update.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

It sound like the system is going into SLEEP MODE and not reactivating the video driver. A Microsoft issue going back to ME.

So try this

1)  Settings>System>Power & Sleep Set Sleep to NEVER

then

2) Click Windows and All Programs Scroll to Windows System Folder> Command Prompt Right Click >More>Run As Admin

then when the black Command prompt window opens put this in there.

powercfg -h off

It will delete the hidden protected hibernation sleep file.

You can set the power settings to turn off the monitor after so many minutes and other items. However Sleep/hibernation has always been an issue with Windows so best to disable. But if it goes into hibernation and the video driver cant be woke up then you will get that screen. Hope it works.   

HP Recommended

@Tasana-Studios

I tried (powercfg -h off) and it booted fine when I got home from work today and this morning before I left.

But still testing I am leaving the lid open while switched off over night. I just want narrow things down.

Much appreciated for your help. I will report back in a couple of days.

Cheers

HP Recommended

@Tasana-Studios

That seemed to have worked.

Well it has for the last few days and I still have sleep settings set to 10 minutes at the moment and no problem with waking up the screen.

But I also have another problem with the lid. After it being closed it wont wake up when opened. I have to close it and open it a few/couple of times to get it work. And I have disabled sleep setting when the lid is opened.

Should I start a new thread about the lid and mark this one as solved?

Cheers

HP Recommended

In most cases to wake the system up from sleep you need to tap the spacebar or lightly tap the power button.

However there is no need to put the computer to sleep.

On my laptop I have it set to NEVER got to sleep on battery or plugged in,

Even if sleep is off when you shut the "lid" the screen goes off and the system powers conserves. So sleep is a needless function.

My advice is to set Power & Sleep to NEVER, then when you open it it the screen snaps on and your ready to go.

I have my laptop set up that way.

I am glad turning off Hibernation work for you.

HP Recommended

Try taking out its battery or turning on while keeping it on charge

HP Recommended

Driver refreshes for Windows 10, alongside numerous gadgets, for example, organize connectors, screens, printers, and video cards, are consequently downloaded and introduced through Windows Update.

HP Recommended

@Tasana-Studios

This solved my problem of leaving the laptop over a period of time (overnight or after work) and booting into a black screen

Thanks Tasana-Studios

HP Recommended

You are very welcome

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.