Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop 15-ek0005na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I just got my new Omen 15 laptop and overall I'm very happy. However the CPU seems to be overheating and I'm wondering what normal temps should be for this unit, as I know gaming laptops run hot (the GPU is fine).

When idle/browsing I am at temps of 50-70c, which I think are fine, but when gaming I reach temps of up to 95c. On average it's around 88-90 playing The Witcher 3 and around 92-94 playing Far Cry 5 but as far as I'm aware this should be 70-80. I'm on Performance mode with fans set to "Auto". Setting the thermal control to "Max" reduces temps to 82-86 but this doesn't seem like a solution as "Auto" should have the temps where they should be, and this still seems a little high on max.

I'm getting thermal throttling as well, on at least half of the cores (monitored using HWiNFO) when running even not demanding games such as Counter Strike GO.

I'm wondering, what CPU temps should I be achieving? And, if these are too hot (it seems that way as it's thermal throttling), what are the solutions if any? Google leads me to believe that there are two solutions: undervolting and repasting the CPU, neither of which I have a clue on how to do.

Thank you.

Please note I have successfully followed instructions in previous threads to update the BIOS (F.05), update the drivers with the HP support module, and followed instructions on the HP "overheating" page. I achieved little or no reduction in temps. Please do not provide these as a solution. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Moi6795 Thanks for the tip, really helped me too it reduced temps by a further 10-15c. I'm now at 67-68c running even the most demanding games with unnoticeable reduction in performance.

I will accept the following as the solution: Using Throttlestop to a) reduce the wattage (the top 2 values in the TPL settings) to 35 for PL1 and 45 for PL2; b) disabling Turbo Boost by simply checking "Disable Turbo" in Throttlestop; c) finally, getting a laptop stand with gaps / vents that allow air intake beneath the laptop.

With these 3 fixes I have gone (in Far Cry 5 on max settings) from 95c, to 67c. That's a reduction of 28c which is incredible. I had similar results in other games.

It's worth noting that undervolting is not possible with the latest intel / bios updates, so reducing wattage etc. as above is the only way with an updated laptop.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@GtotheG123

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 
Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows)You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there.

Thank you for the response @Echo_Lake. The thing is the laptop is pretty much in a factory state already. It's brand new. I tested the laptop out of the box and experienced overheating right away so I doubt resetting to this state will help. It is a brand new laptop, and now is at factory state + antivirus, games, and updated drivers with the HP support software. That's all. I've done everything by the books. I may try factory resetting it but I'll probably look to that as a last resort if nothing else works as it's already pretty much in it's factory state already.

Do you have perhaps any other solutions that could help?

I've bought a laptop stand that gives plenty of room for the ventilation / fans to work optimally which comes tomorrow and will update here if there is any improvement (or not). I imagine a few degrees improvement but am optimistic that it may be more. We'll see. I'd like to try undervolting the CPU as this has worked for previous users with similar laptops.

HP Recommended

So, I think I've somewhat solved the problem. I reduced the wattage of the CPU using Throttlestop TPL settings. I changed the PL1 to 35w and the PL2 to 45w. I'm now achieving 70-85c on the CPU in high demanding games where I was achieving 95c before. So I've shaved off 10c+ without loss in performance, which to me is great news. It's worth noting that getting a stand that gives space for the fans to breathe (there's only a gap, no blockage) also reduced about 2-3c off the CPU temps, resulting in the above temps.

I won't check this as the solution just yet, in-case anything else comes along, but for now I've solved the problem. In due course I will accept this as the solution.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@GtotheG123

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue.
I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

well for me it REALLY helped to disable turbo boost on the CPU 

it shaved off 20-25 degrees from my CPU and i didn't noticed any performance issues  ( at least not in the games that I play) 

google it , there are a lot of ways to disable turbo boost 

hope it'll help!  

HP Recommended

Omen series temperatures are awful overall.

And HP Support recommends a factory reset as a solution? Really? 🤦‍♂️

HP Recommended

@Moi6795 Thanks for the tip, really helped me too it reduced temps by a further 10-15c. I'm now at 67-68c running even the most demanding games with unnoticeable reduction in performance.

I will accept the following as the solution: Using Throttlestop to a) reduce the wattage (the top 2 values in the TPL settings) to 35 for PL1 and 45 for PL2; b) disabling Turbo Boost by simply checking "Disable Turbo" in Throttlestop; c) finally, getting a laptop stand with gaps / vents that allow air intake beneath the laptop.

With these 3 fixes I have gone (in Far Cry 5 on max settings) from 95c, to 67c. That's a reduction of 28c which is incredible. I had similar results in other games.

It's worth noting that undervolting is not possible with the latest intel / bios updates, so reducing wattage etc. as above is the only way with an updated laptop.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Wonderful article

HP Recommended

I've managed to get good temperatures by disabling Turbo Boost too. But it's totally against the purpose of buying a Gaming laptop to reduce the CPU speed for it to be usable! 😠

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.