Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming dk-0049tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been struggling for months with the very same problem and I've done almost everything that you can find on the internet. Every time I try to run an old PC game like Halo or C&C3, I get this error...Screenshot 2020-09-29 013159.jpg

Now, you'll say to check for DX updates? Already done.

Or check windows updates? Done.

Or try running it in compatibility mode? Done that too.

And what's even more frustrating is the fact that all these games run smoothly on other devices including the OMEN series. I wanna know that if this happens only with my laptop?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Aksh_ Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting Direct X issue while opening some games.

Please let us know is it working in the compatible mode.

Please try Windowed mode, how weird this may sound.
Who knows it may solve it.

Open Steam and Right Click on Red Alert 3 game.
Then select Properties.
In General Tab, click on Set Launch Options.
In here, add the following command lines.

-win -xres 1024 -yres 768

Press OK, and close the window and try running the game.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying.

I tried that too it didn't work out. I tried that on a non-steam game too. Didn't work out either. Maybe it has something to do with "hardware acceleration" because I tried finding it but I can't seem to find it anywhere in Advanced Display Properties/Control Panel/ Nvidia control panel.

Any other guesses?

HP Recommended

@Aksh_

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you perform the system reset.

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment in this document.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.