Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP-omen 15ax038tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Hp, I need to clarify things out. I have HP omen 15-ax038tx 16gb ram 4gd nvidia gtx 965m. Im playing my nba2k17 but it lags a lot, i can only play it in low settings only. I tried playing in high graphics when plugged in and it definitely works fine. Is it safe to play when plugged in? Does it really damage the battery? Do i need to charge fully the battery before i play? NEED HELP THANKS.. i have 150w charger.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @kimnhetz

Yes its recommended to game with the power cord plugged in and it will not hurt the battery. Laptops in general (not just HP) are setup to not overcharge the battery after it reaches charge. You can safely charge the battery while gaming, it just wont charge as fast.

Windows will try to conserve battery power by purposely lowering energy output for gaming and such.

Battery recycles (charge>depleation>charge>depleation) are what brings a battery to its end of life faster. This is why Its a just a good reason to play plugged in. There are many articles on the web that discuss this.

You can setup the Nvidia graphics to use full power while in battery mode, but it will still not run as optimal as it will while plugged in. In otherwords, games will still not reach the systems fullest ability for FPS in battery mode optimized.

Let me know if I can help further.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hello @kimnhetz

Yes its recommended to game with the power cord plugged in and it will not hurt the battery. Laptops in general (not just HP) are setup to not overcharge the battery after it reaches charge. You can safely charge the battery while gaming, it just wont charge as fast.

Windows will try to conserve battery power by purposely lowering energy output for gaming and such.

Battery recycles (charge>depleation>charge>depleation) are what brings a battery to its end of life faster. This is why Its a just a good reason to play plugged in. There are many articles on the web that discuss this.

You can setup the Nvidia graphics to use full power while in battery mode, but it will still not run as optimal as it will while plugged in. In otherwords, games will still not reach the systems fullest ability for FPS in battery mode optimized.

Let me know if I can help further.

HP Recommended

I definitely appreciate your comment sir. Thank you so much. Im just afraid that i might damage the battery life. I change the power options in nvidia for prefer maximum performance. Should i also change my laptops power options to high performance or I will stay it for hp recommended?

HP Recommended

I want other experts opinions about this feel free to post in my message thank you.

HP Recommended

That's fine, I have no reason to make it up. That's why I suggest you also Google it and read what others post about gaming while plugged in.  😉

Some will argue that the system does not fully stop charging because the laptops of yesterday did not have as good of circuitry to prevent this.  But even if it did some, "recycles" will end your battery faster than not.

HP "officially" recommends you unplug the laptop if not in use for long periods of time (obviously).

Link... https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01297640#AbT6

HP also officially states...

• If the computer is unused for more than three months, discharge the battery to about 70% before storing. For prolonged storage, check the battery capacity every six months and recharge it to 70 percent. Always store the computer between 20ºC and 25ºC (68ºF and 77ºF).
  • If the computer is run primarily on AC power, allow the battery to discharge completely and recharge once per month.

I keep mine plugged in while gaming and don't have any reservations about it.

But, to each their own and yes its my opinion. 😉

Prefer Maximum performance is a setting in the Nvidia Control Panel under Manage 3D settings>program settings>Power Management Mode.

Choose the program to customize, then set the mode.

HP Recommended

Here is a screen shot for clarity.

NcP.JPG

HP Recommended
I've already set the settings for nvidia. but how about my power options in my laptop? it shows powersaver, hp recommendation and high performance. Do i need to change my current hp recommendation setting to maximum performance? Ok sir thank you. This is it im playing my games without lag and slow fps. Thank you. That is why we need IT experts nowadays. This was my first gaming laptop with two graphics card and im new with it. thanks
HP Recommended

Some have recommended setting the Power options to maximum on battery. If you see a perfomance difference with that, you can. But usually, I have not seen it matter.

Thanks for the update. Glad to know its working out for you now.  :generic:

HP Recommended

I need help when i play nba or any other games. There are times that the screen suddenly goes black then the caps lock blinks slow 5 times and 3 fast blinks afterwards and it repeated again and again. I just long press the home button do go back to windows. Why is this happening? Another is that it was 41% battery and i charge it then it doesnt charge anymore despite it shows plugged in and charging. it just drained to zero until i charge it again. The first time it happened was when you let it to 19% and it will drain until you charge again. NEED HELP

HP Recommended

@kimnhetz

Sounds like your Omen needs physical repairs.

Are you still under warranty? You need to contact HP Support.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.