Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Example: HP pavilion gaming laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is my first post on a tech forum ever, so forgive me if I’ve made any mistakes. 
My touchpad is chaotic and uncontrollable, so much to the point I just got a wireless mouse instead. This wasn’t personally a problem to me because I had no use for the touchpad. But now it’s starting to cause me issues, I think that it led to a crash. It was giving me BSOD’s regarding hardware. I used sfc scan and found out there is a... certain file missing? That I was unable to find online. Can someone help me recover this file or identify it? It’s the dependent file of the drivers. 
Under outranked drivers from event viewer: oem46.inf:HID\*ELAN0718&Col01:00F90002 msmouse.inf:HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_MOUSE:00FF1004 input.inf:HID_DEVICE:00FF1006

The device says it is updated. It is under the ELAN driver. I think I started experiencing this after a BIOS update. I own an HP pavilion gaming laptop (15-ec0xxx) that is in good condition otherwise. Does anyone know what this is? It’s really bothering me. I’ve wondered if it was malware because I’d had driver issues in the past but I’ve used every single one of my antivirus softwares and I’ve found nothing. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@SergAlex, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

We reviewed your post and I understand that you have done the basic troubleshooting and the notebook needs to checked to know it's a hardware or software issue we have to do a system reset of the notebook.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Turn off your HP laptop.
  2. Disconnect all external devices (printers, USB drives, etc.) from your computer.
  3. Remove all recently added internal hardware.
  4. Press the Power button to switch your HP laptop on.
  5. Once your unit starts booting, immediately press the F11 key. Repeatedly press it until you see the Choose an Option screen.
  6. Select Troubleshoot.
  7. Choose Reset this PC.
  8. You can either opt to keep your files or to remove everything.
  9. Select Keep My Files when you want to retain your data. Once you click Reset, your operating system will be reinstalled. The process may take a while.
  10. Choose Remove Everything when you want to remove all your personal files.
  11. You can opt to remove everything solely on the drive where your operating system is installed. On the other hand, you can click All Drives when you do not want to retain any data.
  12. You can also fully clean the drive you selected or just remove your files.
  13. Click Reset.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.