Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-dh0002nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I need Linux for my work and I hoped that I could install it (Debian or Ubuntu) on my new latptop. After several tries I have found that the greatest issue is in installing GRUB when trying Debian and a more modern kernel when trying Ubuntu (a lot of problems in booting).

At this point I'm planning to clean my SSD and partition it in the way suggested here: https://wiki.debian.org/DualBoot/Windows to go the Debian way, but my concern is the W10 license I've got bundled with my laptop. Can I recover it?

I will appreciate any suggestion about the right way to install Debian or Ubuntu on this laptop, but moreover the answer about my Windows license question. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @ValerioP 

First, the Windows re-activation will occur when the new installation of Windows will connect to the internet and search for updates.

For Windows recovery media and what gets replaced...

• If you use the HP downloadable recovery media, it will return the systems drive to default partitions as they came from factory.   Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool
  • If you use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool for the re-installation, it will not remove the existing partitions unless you choose a Custom Install and delete them yourself. This will not install any HP software.  Create media Windows 10

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

You just need to create a recovery usb. I believe the windows license is in the bios instead of the  hard drive. I formatted the drive and reinstalled Windows and Ubuntu on my laptop, no issues

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, but I still have one doubt: does the recovery usb install only Windows 10 or it's going to reset my system to factory standards (i.e.: erase partitions, revert any change made to bootloader, etc.)?

Would it work as intended using an installation medium made from scratch, I mean downloading a W10 home 64 bit edition and creating an USB installation stick?

HP Recommended

Hello @ValerioP 

First, the Windows re-activation will occur when the new installation of Windows will connect to the internet and search for updates.

For Windows recovery media and what gets replaced...

• If you use the HP downloadable recovery media, it will return the systems drive to default partitions as they came from factory.   Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool
  • If you use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool for the re-installation, it will not remove the existing partitions unless you choose a Custom Install and delete them yourself. This will not install any HP software.  Create media Windows 10

HP Recommended

Hello,

thank you for your replies; you have reassured me that in someway I will be able to get my system back at least with Windows 10. I'm trying to achieve a dual boot system following @Ljin , but it's rather difficult to install the bootloader and by reading howtos and manual pages I cannot discern if it's a NVMe problem or UEFI.

I will tell you later if I'm successful or not.

HP Recommended
I've been able to reinstall Windows 10, but I have real problems that I cannot solve at the moment during GRUB installation be it Debian or Ubuntu.
HP Recommended

I accept this as a solution because it answers to my main question, but Linux installation is still unsuccesfull:

- GRUB as bootloader failed to install properly.

- It's possible to run GRUB from UEFI (press ESC-> Boot device-> EFI file).

- Kernel 5.2 from Debian Testing doesn't boot properly.

HP Recommended

Thanks @ValerioP 

I don't think most of us here at the forum could help you with dual booting Linux as we are pretty much Windows only users.

You might also ask in the main section of the forum here... https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/bd-p/Recovery

Also try the Ubuntu forums, they will probably be more help than we could.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Which Ubuntu version were you installing? I’d suggest you get the 19.04 and let the installation process handle the partition for you, i.e. choose the first option install alongside Windows 10 if that’s available. Make sure you back up your files in case it fails

HP Recommended

I tried 19.04 as you suggest in your comment but to no avail. I've tried enabling and disabling CSM in UEFI firmware, I've disable secure-boot, I've tried Ubuntu and Debian (Stable and Tesing) , I've updated the UEFI firmware to the latest available and repeated everything again, but I always get a fatal error during GRUB installation.

With Debian/testing and Ubuntu I have to manage ACPI errors too.

Maybe you were able to install Ubuntu because your hardware is different from mine. If it's so or you have no ideas on how to fix my issues, it is probably better that I ask for help in a Linux forum. Anyhow I thank you for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.