Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop - 17t-cb100 IDS Base Model
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had a recurring fan speed issue ever since buying this computer last year. Seemingly at random, regardless of load put on the computer, the fans will enter a cycle of ramping up enormously in speed for about half a second, then turn off for half a second, then ramp up again. This cycle repeats until the computer is shut down. If it is put to sleep, the fans stop, but will resume the cycle once turned back on. The odd thing is that it isn't consistent. Sometimes I can keep the computer on for hours without it happening, while other times it will pick up immediately. Neither my bios or the Omen Gaming Hub will allow adjustment of fan curves for my model, which is what I believe could fix this issue. I have also updated pretty much everything under the sun with no luck. (Bios, drivers, OS.) Is there any kind of issue I could have missed? I have to use this machine in a silent environment so having the monster fans on this thing kick on at full speed when idling is unacceptable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Isazap

Thank you for posting back.

The last thing I can suggest try and restore the OS back to the factory default, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue.  The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Isazap

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 

To begin with, go to "power options" -> "change advanced power settings" -> "processor power management" -> "maximum processor state" and lower it to avoid overheating or fan noise. 

And, also clean the air vents to reduce fan workload.

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Remove any objects near the computer.

3. Use a vacuum to remove the dust from the vents underneath and on the sides of the computer.

Location of the vents on an HP notebook PC

4. Turn the computer on, and then place it on a hard, level surface, such as a desk or table.

Refer to the article: HP Notebook PCs - Fan is noisy and spins constantly (Windows) By the end of the article you will be able to isolate the issue.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to help. But unfortunately, I have already tried all of those options.

I lowered the maximum processor state all the way down to 80% while plugged in and while on battery with no noticeable improvement in either case. I'm not sure if I want to go any lower than 80%. I also have thoroughly cleaned the vents of any dust twice, which did have make a small improvement the first time, but not the second time.

Something I forgot to mention is that the issue only affects a single fan on the right side of the computer, which I believe is for the CPU.  The Omen Gaming Hub says my CPU temperatures are around 40 degrees C, which is confusing since the fans are louder than they are when running intensive software, where the CPU temperature will reach into the high 90s.

As for the article, I managed to find it and I tried everything a few months ago. I did previously contact HP, who got me in contact with another technician. They directed me to update windows. I went ahead and did that, but mistakenly confirmed that the issue was solved. The fans would go back to their antics shortly after. I get the feeling this is a tough one. Should I just reach out again?

HP Recommended

@Isazap

The last thing I can suggest try and restore the OS back to the factory default, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue.  The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

With the thought of it being an issue in that realm, I bit the bullet and upgraded to Windows 11 just to see if some OS change would work. It hasn't given me any issues since and I assume that a factory reset would've done just as well. Hopefully that will be the last of my fan issues.

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

@Isazap

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.