Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
15-dk0068wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

SO I have tried 3 different external DVD drives and all 3 are reading at a slow speed. I use a DVD ripping software to backup all my DVDs, backup purposes only, and where my 10 year old frankenlaptop's internal drive only takes 30mins to do a DVD the externals on my new laptop take at minimum 1 hour and 40mins. Any clue why they're being so slow?

All USB ports on my laptop are USB 3.0, yes I'm using my data transfer ones and not the charge only, as are the external DVD drives. I have tried both the standard USB 3.0 cable and a USB 3.0 to USB-C cable but no improvement. A few of my old classmates have suggested checking for DMA enabled under the IDE Controller in Device Manager but there is no IDE Controller listed... Anyone got a clue?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@TalkNerdytoMe wrote:

... All USB ports on my laptop are USB 3.0, yes I'm using my data transfer ones and not the charge only, as are the external DVD drives. I have tried both the standard USB 3.0 cable and a USB 3.0 to USB-C cable but no improvement.

@TalkNerdytoMe 

The speed of DVD drives are NOT controlled by the speed of USB ports, it is from the drive itself, in this case also depending on the speed of blank DVD's. Do they have SAME speed with your internal drive ?

Do you use SAME software  ? You can use the following tool to compare

https://www.vso-software.fr/products/inspector/inspector.php

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.