Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-ec0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello..
I got a BIOS update from HP Support Assistant to version F 08 and since then is my laptop locking while gaming and shut down itself. 

I made sure that it has nothing to do with a virus\malware or overheat from dust so its 100% from bios update.
I tried all the possible ways to downgrade the bios and go back to F 05 but seems like that HP preventing bios downgrade.

Would you please fix it fast or at least make it possible for us to downgrade the bios ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I heard that a new BIOS has been released. Try installing it to resolve the shutdown issue.

CVA info - https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp108501-109000/sp108789.cva

Download - https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp108501-109000/sp108789.exe

PS: marked as solution to give the post more visibility.

I am HP Employee

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44
HP Recommended

Hi I have the same issue with this bios update .

I've tried a few things
1. Updating the coool sense seems to mitigate the problem for a while but when you go further it'll still persist around the second hour of gaming when the temp raise up to 90 degrees with frequently reaching 85 degrees as I look for an answer for this I heard that beyond 85 degrees it can damage your CPU is that true ?
2. lifting and cleaning the air way so there'll be no obstruction 
3.  Updating other driver such as chipset and graphic driver as I used Ryzen 7 3750H 

all of the above thing seems to just be able to  mitigate it for a while about an hour longer.
I've also tried system diagnostic . but the temperature didn't raise significantly even when 100% CPU is used 
so I can't pin point why exactly the temperature is raising so high . I've also turned off my auto restart on blue screen but it didn't shown the blue screen either. 
My room temperature is about 16 degree celcius  upto 21 degrees celcius I think it's quite a cold environment so we can't really blame it. 

Spec :

Memory : 8 GB of RAM
CPU : Ryzen 7 3750H
GPU : Nvidia 1660 with Max-Q design

I play Horizon zero dawn and Monster Hunter with low setting
Horizon zero dawn is known for the UnOptimized because of just recently released. but monster hunter world is pretty stable game and I played for hours before the bios update that is suggested by the HP Support Assisstant
 but Now when I play an intense Hardware usage game it always suddenly locking and shut down at somepoint. my suspect is overheating becase of bios update and the fan can't keep up with the heat excess. this laptop is made for gaming purpose right? even when it's not the best one I think it should be able to play most game with low setting. 

is there any advice ? I heard that downgrading is possible with USB Flash Disk but still it's not a solution it's just mitigation. I need a solution as I don't want to run into this kind of problem in the future . the update shown change log that's so unrelated to this issue : - Adds the setup item to the keyboard backlight timeout timer.

Please fix this ASAP as it defeats the purpose of this laptop as a gaming one

HP Recommended

Well,by the looks of it , we have no other option  but to wait for a new BIOS which may take weeks\months as they are not really caring at the moment!

Its really bad that HP released BIOS without testing it and its not only about Pavilion`s bios but Omen laptops are also involved.
They are trying to convince us that its a hardware issue or that its possible to rollback\downgrade the bios with all those guides that NEVER EVER worked for any of us because simply HP locked the bios and they know that already !

Im really disappointed and this will be mostly the last time i buy a HP product. 

HP Recommended

I have same problem.

if you have warranty you can contact hp in each contry.

In Thailand i contact hp. and hp change new mainborad(F.05) because it can't downgrade to f.05.

HP Recommended

Update I've tried recovering the bios via USB drive to no avail. the diagnostic said Unnable to read bios image signature. our only hope is that HP hear us and made some roll back change to say the least this hillariously stupid . as fellow engineer this is so unacceptable it's almost a month after the update and no response this update render my laptop only to small games so dissapointed

HP Recommended

@Feras2

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted BIOS files and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.

I`m pretty sure that doing a system factory reset wont change anything as bios wont be affected by doing so. You can also check other threads and there you will see that some already tried the system factory reset without achieving anything in return .
The only way that it may work (other than releasing a new bios or making it possible for us to downgrade) is by doing a bios dump with a programmer and a pin header on m/b to flash it but as you know its a dead-end desperate solution and usually done on corrupted bios.

All what we are asking for is way to make us downgrade the bios without going through guides like WIN+B, usp recovery..ect  because we already tried all of those methods and sadly didn't work for any of us or just releasing a new bios ASAP.

Its been almost a month since this corrupted bios was released which is bad as we cant use a gaming laptop for the main purpose we bought it for !

HP Recommended
The thing is currently I don't hold my flash drive because of travel limitation in my country and I won't take another dime for this issue. please just release a roll back update
HP Recommended

Dont even waste your time and try such a thing as it wont work.

All what HP is good at is hiring employees that provide you with robotic answers and when you tell them that it wont\didnt work they just disappear and never respond again. Check almost all the threads and you will see that they didnt really had a real conversation with anyone. 

They are not even admitting that its there mistake releasing a faulty BIOS which is a shame , even tho thousands are complaining  from the same issue.

HP Recommended

@Feras2

Thank you for posting back. 

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.