Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-dc1052nr 15.6"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys, I bought a brand new laptop Friday night and I love the thing already. The gaming quality is great, beautiful and high fps. However the CPU runs a little hot at times (GPU seems to be ok). I’ll sometimes get spikes up to 95C+! So for that reason I’ve done some research and I believe undervolting is a good way to go, I don’t know too much about the process but understand it will help with the longevity of my product without reducing the performances of the CPU/GPU. So please correct me if any of my information is wrong, as I’m learning and would like as much criticism as possible.

So one question I have is, is undervolting using throttle stop vs changing the bios settings any different? Is one better than the other for delivering less power to the CPU? Im trying to optimize here, I’d like to put in the time and get the best results I can, once, so I don’t have to touch these settings for a long time  (if I can get away with it).

Do y’all have any guides you recommend on undervolting using throttle stop?

I’ve lowered my CPU max power allowance from 100% to 99% and that seemed to help my temps a bit, but from what I gather, the cpu will no longer turbo boost (is this a laptops overclock that it performs itself?) itself at that setting, and I don’t really like that idea because I paid for power. I changed it back to 100% out of that fear of losing turbo boost, but if that’s not what happens please correct me.

TLDR; So I guess my overall desire is to help reduce temps, by either changing bios settings, undervolting using throttle stop (having trouble installing XTU for some reason), or utilizing some other method to bring temps down without sacrificing major performance loss like not utilizing turbo boost (overclock? Still unsure).

Also If y’all know a way to monitor cpu output (clock speed? And core usage?) that would be cool too. Im a big noob at all of this and excited to learn. Thanks in advanced! 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@djrandolfs12

The OMEN HP 15-dc1xxx Notebook does not support overclocking or undervolting in the HP Command Center

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c05387497

HP Pc’s uses a customized BIOS setting (Tattooed BIOS) of which some features including overclocking/undervolting and increasing the VRAM are locked.

This is done in the best interest of safeguarding the PC for the optimal performance and not to cause any extensive component failure.

If the Notebook is overheating, you can update the BIOS from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers and that should help

Thank you and have a great day

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

They’re locked even with third party software?

HP Recommended

@djrandolfs12

The BIOS is locked but there exist 3rd party softwares that can be used to hack into the BIOS, but HP does not recommend doing so. 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.