Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)
my laptop screen shows HP BIOS update and it is stuck on 48%. I have no idea how it started and why. I am not able to attach the screenshot so here is exactly what shows on my screen

*THE SYSTEM BIOS IS BEING RECOVERED. THE RECOVERY WILL TAKE SEVERAL MINUTES TO COMPLETE.

DO NOT SHUT DOWN OR REMOVE EXTERNAL POWER FROM YOUR COMPUTER DURING THE PROCESS.

WRITING NEW BIOS IMAGE

BLOCK 992/2048

PROGRESS 48%*

May be it is due to some problems I was facing with battery. Sometimes it was showing and sometimes it wasn't able to detect battery so I used my laptop while charging. The battery indicator will sometimes show charging or connected but not charging.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @Yash111, Thank you for joining the HP Forums!

I understand when updating BIOS on your PC it got stuck at 48%.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below to restore the BIOS.

Turn off the notebook.
Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.
With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key and the B key at the same time.
   NOTE:
On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key and the V key.
While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).
The HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.
If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps. If the issue persists after repeating the steps, skip to the next step to Download a replacement BIOS file.
If the Power light turns off, the notebook has turned off because the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds only.
Click Continue Startup to prompt the notebook to restart immediately, or allow the notebook to restart automatically when the timer reaches zero.
After the notebook restarts, press Enter to continue.
   NOTE:
If the notebook repeatedly displays a message that the BIOS has been recovered, go to HP BIOS Application Selected is Corrupt or Missing for troubleshooting steps.
After Windows starts, if a message displays stating that the notebook was improperly shut down or that a boot problem was detected, follow the on-screen instructions.
You can now to enter the BIOS menu or start the Windows operating system.

Refer this article for more information about recovering the BIOS.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
Please help and thank you in advance
HP Recommended

Hi! @Yash111, Thank you for joining the HP Forums!

I understand when updating BIOS on your PC it got stuck at 48%.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below to restore the BIOS.

Turn off the notebook.
Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.
With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key and the B key at the same time.
   NOTE:
On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key and the V key.
While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).
The HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.
If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps. If the issue persists after repeating the steps, skip to the next step to Download a replacement BIOS file.
If the Power light turns off, the notebook has turned off because the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds only.
Click Continue Startup to prompt the notebook to restart immediately, or allow the notebook to restart automatically when the timer reaches zero.
After the notebook restarts, press Enter to continue.
   NOTE:
If the notebook repeatedly displays a message that the BIOS has been recovered, go to HP BIOS Application Selected is Corrupt or Missing for troubleshooting steps.
After Windows starts, if a message displays stating that the notebook was improperly shut down or that a boot problem was detected, follow the on-screen instructions.
You can now to enter the BIOS menu or start the Windows operating system.

Refer this article for more information about recovering the BIOS.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks @MrRobot. My BIOS problem got automatically solved once the battery died and I connected my Laptop back again to the power, the whole BIOS update happened again and it was successful this time.

Hope you can help me with other problem. While ago my charger stopped working and I bought new official HP charger (I am 100% sure it's specifications matchs the requirements for my laptop). For a while it worked fine but unfortunately after few days my battery started acting strange. When I turn on my laptop it says you need to replace your battery. I have to use my laptop while connected to external power. This is what battery indicator say at different times:

Connected but not charging.
Charging (but battery stays at 0%)
Charging (normally charging but as soon as I remove external power laptop shuts down)

Surprisingly sometimes everything is normal (it doesn't even say that I need to replace my battery) and I don't even have to connect to the charger. Hope this is understandable.

Many thanks in advance
HP Recommended

@Yash111, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue got resolved by reseating the battery.

I'm glad to know that your issue got resolved.

As you mentioned you have another issue with your laptop.

You have charging issues with your laptop.

Please provide the part number of the adapter you replaced with.

You can find the part number on the brick of the adapter.

Also, try few steps recommended below.

Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get re-installed automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Check if the issue still persists.

If the issue still persists try updating BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Also, run a battery test on your PC and check if the battery status is healthy.

Refer this article to know how to run a battery test on your PC.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Happy Weekend ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.