Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15-dc1026tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP community,

Does the Omen 15 (as stated in product name) laptop have a CMOS battery physically on the motherboard or is it integrated with the laptop battery?

I think my laptop have an issue with CMOS because my laptop can't be boot on when the power is on 50% and below but when I plugged it in, it will boot on with CMOS message [CMOS Reset : (502)] .

My original battery is swollen and I replaced it with a battery same model and I bought it online (not from HP). However, the CMOS checksum message appeared when I use the swollen original battery too. I'm afraid it may be either the CMOS values are corrupted or the CMOS chip is malfunctioned/dead if it not integrated with the main battery. If it is, it is weird how I can encounter this issue twice while using two different batteries.

After I've been using the laptop with the battery I  bought online for about half of a year, my laptop couldn't be boot on and HP technician came to my house (onsite repair) and said it was a motherboard issue. But after two weeks not trying to do anything with the laptop, it can boot on while plugged in (with CMOS checksum message). So I suspect it is a CMOS issue and not a motherboard issue.

Notes: The CMOS checksum message appear in Chinese characters and other error messages also appear in Chinese. Weird.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Shuhail wrote:

.. Does the Omen 15 (as stated in product name) laptop have a CMOS battery physically on the motherboard or is it integrated with the laptop battery?

@Shuhail 

It does NOT have RTC or CMOS battery. Parts list

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=6MY36PA

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Mostly CMOS battery is with battery in these model.

Better update BIOS if it is not.: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp113501-114000/sp113709.exe

The error may re-appear when battery is not HP Genuine part.

Thanks & Regards

VG

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users:
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Thanks & Regards
VG
HP Recommended

@Shuhail wrote:

.. Does the Omen 15 (as stated in product name) laptop have a CMOS battery physically on the motherboard or is it integrated with the laptop battery?

@Shuhail 

It does NOT have RTC or CMOS battery. Parts list

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=6MY36PA

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Banhien

Alright, thanks for the information. 

However do you know how to solve my problem?  What should I replace or do to get the CMOS thing fixed.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@VishalG1

Thank you for your reply. I updated bios several times as I contact with HP technical support many times but I doesn't help much. I believe the error is due to not HP Genuine Part but the original battery I used at first (Original from HP) also did give me the error message. A bit complicated stuff.

Thank you for your suggestion though!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try update HP Support Assistant.

Still if issue remains same, Seems there might be system board issue, if as you mentioned the issue persist before non-Genuine battery replacement.

You can ignore the error if notebook is not under warranty.

If its under warranty you can connect with HP support and resolve.

Thanks & Regards,

VG

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users:
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Thanks & Regards
VG
HP Recommended

Hi @VishalG1

HP technician came to my house and said it is a system board issue. However, there is some purple/pink thingy on my motherboard which make the warranty void. But when I look other video of HP OMEN disassembly, there is also purple/pink mark on their motherboard which is quite upsetting me and now the warranty is expired. I also checked my system board with HP PC Hardware Diagnostics and it passed.

Also my HP Support Assistant is latest version it could get because the latest version on the HP website is incompatible with my laptop.

Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.