Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
15-ce011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey Guys, 

Recently the brightness-changing function keys (FN + F1/F2) on my Omen stopped working. The other functions, like changing volume or key-lit layout work, only the brightness doesn't. The brightness meter comes up when I use the function, but the actual brightness of the screen remains the same.

Also, (super unrelated, this might be a stupid question but I am new into the computer modification field) I recently purchased a Samsung EVO  860 SSD 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III (MZ-76E1T0B/AM) in hopes of leaving my slow, stock HDD behind. I have the list of steps to take in order to open the laptop up and tear the old hard drive out, but I am worried about whether or not the new SSD will fit in place without any need of adaption. 

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it (: I am noob. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It might be a graphics driver issue.

Have you updated the NVIDIA drivers directly from HP, or have you installed drivers from NVIDIA directly?

I would uninstall the NVIDIA driver and the Intel driver and then reinstall them from your drivers page for you model.

I would also take a look at this post from Paul Tikkanen on how to update the Intel driver...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-the-Latest-HD-Graphics-Driver-from-I...

Here is what is available from the HP drivers page, they are a little outdated but should also still work..

Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1809)  sp92410.exe

NVIDIA Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1709)  sp89051.exe

If reinstalling the graphics drivers do not work, I would not know what is wrong.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Jason9718 

The 2.5 inch SATA SSD should work just fine in place of the HDD.

As far as the brightness keys go, can you change the brightness via display settings or the slider on the battery icon?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply!

No, when i go into Display settings and dial the "change brightness" bar, the brightness remains the same. 

HP Recommended

It might be a graphics driver issue.

Have you updated the NVIDIA drivers directly from HP, or have you installed drivers from NVIDIA directly?

I would uninstall the NVIDIA driver and the Intel driver and then reinstall them from your drivers page for you model.

I would also take a look at this post from Paul Tikkanen on how to update the Intel driver...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-the-Latest-HD-Graphics-Driver-from-I...

Here is what is available from the HP drivers page, they are a little outdated but should also still work..

Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1809)  sp92410.exe

NVIDIA Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1709)  sp89051.exe

If reinstalling the graphics drivers do not work, I would not know what is wrong.

HP Recommended

All fixed! 

So I opened the NVIDIA GeForce App to check on the status of my last update, and it appeared one of my “Game Drivers” was out of date. I updated, and tried to change the brightness with no success. I restarted the laptop and the problem is solved! 

Thanks a lot!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.