Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've already had heaps of issues with this laptop after not even 2 years after purchasing it and after paying for hundreds of dollars in repairs now the keyboard backlight is having issues. The backlight on the WASD keys works fine and is always on as I've set it, but while I'm playing a game or even just using the laptop normally the rest of the keyboard will randomly just turn off. Sometimes it's only for a minute, and others it takes ages to come back on. This happens without me pressing the F4 button (which is the key to activate the keyboard backlight in 3 settings) and pressing the F4 button will not resolve the issue, nor will restarting the laptop, or repeatedly pressing the button. I have to wait ages for it to turn back on, and this can take hours. It is extremely annoying as I've always been used to being able to see the keys even in a dark room which I always found appealing, now I can no longer do that, and even though I have memorised the main keys on the keyboard it still means I have to stop looking at the screen and squint really hard just to see what I'm pressing. I don't know how to fix this, I've looked everywhere, and some help to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@tamerlein

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

I understand that your HP notebook backlight is not working correctly. I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
Note: Your BIOS version and screens might vary.

1. Restart the notebook, and then immediately press the F10 repeatedly until the BIOS opens.

2. When the BIOS opens, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Advanced tab.

3. Navigate to Built-in Device Options, and then press Enter.

The Advanced tab showing Built-in Device Option highlighted

4. In the Built-in Device Options, select Backlit keyboard timeout.

5. Press the spacebar to open the keyboard backlight settings, and then select the timeout setting you want.

NOTE: If you select Never, the backlight remains on which could quickly drain the notebook battery power.

Backlit keyboard timeout options

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for the reply. I have tried accessing the BIOS by restarting my laptop and repeatedly pressing the F10 key. The BIOS on my laptop looks a lot different to what is in the screenshot, and I've looked through every tab and can't find anything relating to "Built-in Device Options". 

HP Recommended

@tamerlein

Thank you for posting back,

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. Let's try a few more steps in order to isolate the backlit keyboard issue.  
In the BIOS, select BIOS Setup or BIOS Setup Utility, and then use the arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration tab. Make sure to enable Action Keys Mode, if it is not enabled already. Once it's done try using the backlit options. 

If you still need additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team if you would like to continue troubleshooting.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.