Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
10-26-2022 05:30 AM
Hi, I have had this laptop for around 3 years.
During Sunday, I booted up a game that somehow caused my computer to hang up on a black screen. I am suspecting that since this is old, it is overheating somehow.
After I forced it to shutdown, I was able to boot it up briefly before hanging up on a blackscreen again. But when I try to boot it up again, it remains on a black screen with the caps lock blinking 5 long blinks and 3 short ones.
I tried the steps mentioned here (Power Reset):
1. Unplug all external keyboards/mouse
2. When unplugged from the power cord, press and hold the power button for 15 seconds to do a power reset
3. Plug power cord back in and then turn it on
I tried the above steps 2 times and it did not work the first couple of times. After some time it worked and the computer was able to boot up normally.
The last two days it was turning on normally, and then today, I was able to turn it on normally in the morning.
But after shutting it down to replace the thermal paste, it now won't turn on at all with the same error: 5 long blinks and 3 short blinks.
Solutions I tried:
1. I tried a power reset but it did not work.
2. I've tried unplugging the battery before turning it on, but it did not work.
3. I've tried only plugging in one ram (unplugging one RAM) but the error code is still 5 long 3 short.
Please let me know if anyone finds out of a solution 😞
10-27-2022 03:15 PM
Sorry to hear that you are having problems ...
To help you I just need to know the product number (p/n) xxxxxx#xxx of your notebook !
It looks something like this:
You will find this information on the back/rear of your notebook in small alphanumeric letters.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community