Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 17-cb1070nr

I bought this Notebook HP Omen 17-cb1070nr from eBay for parts.

The problem symptoms i found are:

When turning ON the notebook, LED on charge and ON light up. Also CAPS start blinking 5 times faster and 3 times slow.

I tried using an USB Bios recovery flash drive from HP tools, but the problem is the system wont boot up  using the key combinations of ON and WINDOWS + B or WINDOWS + V

The stranger part is when pressing ON + WINDOWS + V the ON LED light up 3 secs then it goes off. 

Any ideas are welcome to try recovering this notebook. Its obviously for what i read about 5 fast and 3 slow blinks its a failed BIOS update and not a motherboard damage.

Another big problem i found is that this notebook doesn't have a CMOS battery, it just use the battery itself as a whole. Also the battery on this notebook version, does not use a cable to connect the battery to the motherboard, so there is no way to do a hard reset of CMOS.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The bios might have failed during an update if that's what it was doing when it failed. But does not necessarily mean that's the issue or simple fix. If it failed, most likely a hard reset wont fix it either, but its worth a shot yes. You can do a hard reset by only unplugging the power cord and holding down the power button for 30 secs. But if it doesn't, you can try pulling the main battery.

"the battery on this notebook version, does not use a cable to connect the battery to the motherboard, so there is no way to do a hard reset of CMOS."

The battery is removable and its connected via a hard connector built into the battery that you can disconnect when you pull the battery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0-UFL2j1u4

Your manual page 38.... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06367528

Hope it helps.

HP Recommended

Didn't work. 

HP Recommended

Sounds like the motherboard bios chip is possibly borked from that update then, if not something else.  There wont be anything else I can offer from a forum standpoint. I'm sorry.

HP Recommended

The problem is located on the integrated EC BIOS chip. I need the Bin file for the next schematic chipset

I cant find anywhere the bin file for this Bios chipset KB9542Q-B

HP Recommended

No need to BOLD text me bud. I'm just a volunteer offering to help.

What you are apparently asking is the de-compiled version of the bios. My understanding is, HP stopped giving those out. It used to be you could unzip the bios yourself and extract what you needed. HP would even send those files to requester's.  Not anymore and as I pointed out earlier, I have no access to such files. I only have access to the bios update versions on the drivers page as does the public.

You might get lucky on eBay if someone offers that service.

HP Recommended

sorry about the bold. Was a fat finger miss only. Anyway, no idea what bold will mean anyway 🙂

Regarding the EC BIOS i found there is a way to do it, but when i unconpress the BIOS file from HP i end with 3 bin files.

So if anyone from HP is reading this, could you please be so kind to provide me with EC BIOS bin file for OMEN 17cb-1070nr

Thanks

HP Recommended

OK no worries then.

From what I understood when this happened, there is a secret signature file that does not show when you de-compiled the file. I believe you need that also or you wont be able to access everything you need. HP wont give out those anymore. Anyone at HP caught doing so, would be let go do to terms of service.

But I will pass on your request to the mods. I don't know if they will even respond. Good luck.

PS: you could always try contacting HP Support and see how far you get.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.