Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15 2015
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP Omen laptop that has Intel integrated graphics and a dedicated Nvidia GTX 860m graphics. I have this laptop for just over a year and everything has been going fine. Recently, performance in games have been very bad.. I don't think games are ACTUALLY using the Nvidia driver even though it says it is.

I used to be able to play GTA5 and RimWorld with great FPS over 60. Now, GTA5 can't even get 2 FPS and RimWorld gets about 20. I did not change anything with Nvidia drivers.

Thinking this was a software problem, I performed a clean install of Windows 10 and it did not fix anything.

Picture of GTA5 "using" the Nvidia graphics: http://i.imgur.com/NSOL79L.png

By the look of the performance, it would seem that it is using the Intel graphics instead of the Nvidia even though it says it is using the Nvidia graphics. Especially because usually in graphic intensive games like GTA5 you would hear the fans spinning for the Nvidia graphics.

Both the Nvidia graphics and Intel graphic drivers are up-to-date.

I ran a benchmark test in GTA5 with Normal/Low settings with GPU-Z running in the background. GTA5 was getting about 4 FPS. In the past on the same laptop, I used to be able to get 60+ FPS on High settings. Here is a picture of the GPU-Z: http://i.imgur.com/vI23tLR.png

The GPU load is being maxed out at 100% as well as the memory and core clock. The GPU temperature is not rising however and on my machine, you cannot hear the GPU fan spinning (previously you would be able to in GTA5).

Could this be a hardware issue with the Nvidia graphics card or most likely a software issue? Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @SourceVG,

Welcome to HP Forums!

I have read your post and wanted to help.

I understand that your laptop's game performance is getting worse, and after the clean installation of Windows 10, it did not help to fix the problem.

I will advise performing an HP System Recovery to restore laptop back to the factory settings. Do you have the recovery media? If not, please check Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Please also post back the product number.

If this post helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Hi,
I did a factory reset using HP media and the problem persists. I use the HP factory installed benchmarks tools Unigine Heaven/Valley and I get 1fps. Web browsing and general tasks like opening file Explorer is still very very slow.
HP Recommended

Hi @SourceVG,

Please continue to try the steps on this link: HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 10), and run the hardware tests of hard drive and memory: HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

Let me know if any hardware test failed.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended
I just ran many tests in the HP PC Hardware Diagonistics UEFI. Tests included:
- Extensive memory check
- Extensive hard drive check
No issues were found with either.
HP Recommended

Hi @SourceVG,

After you performed the factory reset, have you installed all the Windows Updates? Also, please run HP Support Assistant to update drivers.

Have you tested your Internet connection speed? Is it normal as before?

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
All Windows updates are installed and drivers are latest version.

My Internet connection is good using a speed test. The "slowness" of my browsing experience is u related to my Internet speed. I also have tried both a wireless and wired Ethernet connection.
HP Recommended

Hi @SourceVG,

We have run through all the troubleshooting.

You may consider contacting HP support to let them have a check of your device.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

SourceVG:  Did you ever get this straightened out?  The exact same thing is happening to me and I cannot figure it out...

HP Recommended
Yes, it was a problem with the power supply connection to the laptop. The connection was not good so the laptop was downclocking the hardware to favor better battery life over performance. I think this happens when the power plug is left connected into the laptop for an extended period of time.

I simply unplugged all connections to power and let the laptop run on battery until drained. Try running a game while on battery too.

Hope this helps
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.