Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

You're right. I had to create a new power saving plan 🙂 Now it seems to max out at 2.2 GHz which is its standard speed.

Not a solution but atleast the CPU won't "fry" 🙂

HP Recommended

I have spoken to HP and they think it is a hardware failure with the fan.

i wait 1 week for a new BIOS and then i will contact them for a repair.

HP Recommended

I think I found out the cause of the problem: power delivery between charging and not charging the laptop. I ran 3DMark again this morning and was pleasantly surprised to find the CPU temps running in the 60 C range on the same benchmarks. I did notice choppy play and lousy benchmarks at the end of the run. Then I realized I wasn't running the charger during the runs. Plugged the charger in and CPU temps went back up to the 90-98 C range again.

Everybody knows that you have to have the charger plugged in when gaming on these laptops (applies to all brands), otherwise battery life is like 1.5 hours and you lose 10-25 FPS on the framerates, so this is not a solution. In fact, the TimeSpy Extreme benchmark even aborted during the run with the charger disconnected!!! This is usually a sign the card is overclocked or not enough juice to the card. I might add that with the charger plugged in my benchmark was higher than 10% of all computers, and when disconnected, it was higher than 4.3% of all computers, so you can see how bad these gaming laptops run unless the laptop is plugged in and charging.

Here's hoping HP can find a fix in power delivery via the BIOS or some other manner, but I'm not optimistic. My suggestion to those who are serious about gaming: get a desktop. I mainly upgraded to the Omen because my 10 year old laptop could not handle streaming with the dated CPU. It was constantly running at max speed since crappy Microsoft Edge uses a lot of resources, so when watching TV on it for several hours average temp was 65 C with the fan running constantly. I don't have that problem with the 6-Core on the Omen, but with a battery life of 3-4 hours unplugged, it's a hassle remembering to turn the power on and off so might as well leave it charging all the time. There goes the battery life. You won't have that issue - or the power problem during gaming - with a desktop.

HP Recommended

Hi Clevor,

Very well thought out response to this problem.

I agree. Desktops are the way to go if you are a serious gamer.

Laptops are harder to keep cool. Running on battery kills consistent power distribution to the system. OEMs are getting closer to building laptops which can compete with desktops but a performance, thermal, and reliability gap still exists.

I build and repair desktop systems.

It is not possible to build laptops as an independent PC tech.

I don't live in China!

Tom

HP Recommended

I downloaded Speedfan and got the same results as Samlamm. One fan runs 4000 rpm right after a 3DMark benchmark run and the other <200 rpm. Also three cores run hotter than the other three, >90 C versus >80 C. Can HP confirm the issue with a recent batch of Omen 17s and identify the serial numbers so I can contact the vendor with the information. I did not buy direct from HP so I cannot return it within 30 days unless I work something out with the vendor. I prefer replacement, not repair.

This is my first HP computer and it may be my last. Where is the quality control???

HP Recommended

When i stress 1 or 2 cores the temp is below 50c and with+3 cores its reach +90c.

Did they forgot to use thermal paste?

I hope there are a solution on this problem,but i dont use it for games it was a replacement for my intel nuc that was broken.

HP Recommended

Hi BergLake,

Everybody has an opinion on how to install thermal paste. Everybody has an opinion on what type or brand of thermal paste is best.

I apply the thermal paste evenly in a thin layer (painting the CPU heat spreader) using scotch tape.

Some people place a blob on the CPU heatsink. Some people place an X pattern on the CPU heatsink.

I have no idea what method HP uses at the factory.

Sounds like a possible thermal issue where the third core is located on the CPU die. Could be insufficient thermal conductivity caused by a lack of thermal paste.

I would suggest removing the CPU heatsink and cleaning, reapplying thermal paste. But you have to disassemble the system. Most newer consumer Notebooks are a big hassle to get to the motherboard.

You have to remove tons of screws from the bottom of the chassis. Then separate the top bezel from the chassis. Mess with the keyboard connections and other peripheral connections to get to the processor.

This process can break stuff if you are not very careful.

Tom

HP Recommended

I believe I saw some posts where HP recommends replacing the thermal paste. This is quite surprising to me because with most manufacturers, that involves taking the laptop apart which would void the warrantees.

I got around to looking at other posts on this forum and Wow! There are numerous posts about the same overheating problems we are experiencing with Omen 17 laptops purchased in the last few weeks, to include only one fan operating, and poor gaming performance unless the charger is connected. The problem also occurs on the Omen 15, and goes back several months. So it doesn't seem like the problem is a defective fan.

I have 30 days to return the laptop and here's hoping HP can come up with a BIOS solution to the problem within that time. 

HP Recommended

@Grwacz While desktops generally are superior gaming computers compared to laptops, a laptop should be able to cool the hardware it contains during usage it's meant for. Otherwise, don't put in that hardware or don't sell it as a gaming laptop (i.e. overheating when gaming on a non-gaming laptop isn't really a problem).

@Clevor Yes, there are a lot of posts about overheating and one of the fans not increasing in speed (so I doubt it's a hardware failure).

"Basically I've reached out to HP and they told me the behavior is normal. It is not a misreport. Be...

All posts I've read about overheating complains about degrees of about 80C though, which isn't really a problem. Sure, it's in the upper bounds but it's what I would expect during load from a laptop.

So what I've gathered is: HP knows the second fan runs a lot slower, and it's apparently intended (i.e. HP is designed to break). So the only solution I'm looking for is how to get that fan to run at appropriate speeds.

HP Recommended

Hello Guys

I have the same problem with my Omen 15. High temps up to 95C while gaming.

And I see on SpeedFan that Fan 1 is running at 3000-4000rpm and Fan 2  <200rpm.

Recently I noticed that fans are louder than normal. Probably, cuz of only one fan running at proper speed

I just wanted to contact HP support in my region, but I need my Omen for another month so badly.

Also one more thing

Do you guys have something like jumping processor freq?

On battery is ok. Stable 800-1000 mhz, sometimes a bit more

But when I watch a movie on AC it jumps to 3,3ghz every few seconds

Is that normal? 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.