Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

@Edwin8

My Omen boots USBs just fine so its not the Omen series thats the problem.

I didnt have to disable fast boot either. Works for Linux distributions and varous tools.

What OS are you trying to boot and how did you create it? That is the determining factor.

F9 will bring up the boot options from power on.

Secure boot may have to be disabled and Legacy might have to be enabled.

HP Recommended

I managed last evening. Took a bios upgrade and giving myself a couple of extra seconds before continuing with booting.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately can not answer tour question. USBdrive was company issues.

HP Recommended

Ah, got ya.

I have had on rare occassion, some company issue a cheap freebie USB drive (Example: from a convention) and it not be seen. I chalked it up to them using a cheap drive, who knows.

Used to be certain really cheap USB 2 drives would not be seen after burning HP Recovery Media also. Something about the chip ID in the drive. Yes that kind of stuff is out of your control. Sorry.

HP Recommended

My HP Omen is infected with virus that disables the pre-installed windows defender and installation of other antivirus softwares by masking itself as part of system command defining them as malicious softwares.

Windows has an offline windows defender bootable usb, but I can't use it because there is no option for booting using other devices. Also "Windows 10 trusted sofware system command" is absolute and can't be overide by the administrator.

Can you guys help me with this issue? This would be much easy if i could boot a "antivirus rescue disk or usb".

HP Recommended

I don't know what USB antivirus tool you are using but how its created can make a difference for booting live.

F10 will get you into the bios. You should be able to turn off Secure Boot to access such software. You might also have to enable Legacy Mode to get the drive recognized depending on how it was created.

In the bios:  Go to System Configuration and arrow down to Boot Options and Enter. You will find both Legacy and Secure Boot options there.

Save and exit and you will be prompted to enter a 4 digit code to allow Secure Boot to be disabled.

Then use F9 for the boot menu and the drive should show there.

Does this help?

Otherwise, if you are infected, I would consider wiping the drive and reinstalling with the MS Media Creation Tool.

Do a custom install and delete ALL partitions to ensure the infection is gone.

HP Recommended

I got it working mate. I've booted from USB and installed Parrot OS Pentest Operating System. The problem is not with the machine. There's two things you need to do in order for this to work. First, when you created the bootable Linus USB, did you make it bootable to EUFI or BIOS (Legacy)? Your setting you did in the BIOS are correct so after you restart and before booting keep tapping the F9 key and you'll get a boot menu, now next step is IMPORTANT, you'll notice your USB Stick will have a few Extensions to it as for my case I had : Sandisk Cruzer (EUFI) and another which was just Sandisk Cruzer. It is verp important that you choose the mode that you formatted your USB too, which in my case was the old BIOS bootable mode, so I just chose: Sandisk Cruzer (without the EUFI at the end) and it worked. Your best bet is to re-create the bootable Linux distro to the old standard of BIOS and not EUFI and whilst creating it, if it gives you an option for DD Mode, choose it, and once that is done just restart, boot tapping the F9 key and choose your usb without any extensions.  Just for refrence I have the HP OMEN 15, turned off safe boot, turned on legacy mode, USB Created with Rufus and installed OS Is Parrot OS. Hope i haven't confused you. Good Luck guys. OH AND I FORGOT, when you do change the setting in the BIOS and hit F10 to save them, your laptop will restart and ask you to very the changes by typing four numbers and hitting enter, make sure you do this or you wont be able to boot from USB. Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.