Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen by HP 17-cb0230ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it possible to adjust the configurable TDP for my i7-9750h in the Omen by HP 17 series? Mine is currently set at 35w (TDP down), which is too low in my case since the temperatures are below 80 degrees even when running at 45w (which is also the regular TDP set by Intel, but it only lasts for a few minutes, after that it goes down to 35w which seems to be the configurable level set by HP). Whenever the shift from 45w to 35w happens, I can see a performance drop while gaming. Therefore, I would like to maintain the 45w and adjust the TDP down value from 35w to 45w. But how?

Also, I can see via HWINfo that TLP1 and TLP2 are unlocked, but I cannot change them via Intel XTU. So is it actually possible to adjust TLP1 1 and TLP 2 in Omen laptops?

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Luna

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Luna777 There seems to have been an error on the hyperlink, however, I have updated the same for you: click here to access it

And as I said, I have forwarded the request, though I'm not sure if that will be implemented, let's hope for the best.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Luna777 Welcome to HP Community!

Thermal design power (TDP) is not configurable as per HP Standards, the same is system managed and tweaking it using 3rd party software is neither recommended or supported by HP, as its designed to work on it's optimal performance as per design.

That said, you may use this link for details on how to reduce or prevent the heat inside the notebook: click here for details.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, it is NOT working optimal in my case. I don't have a temperature problem, it's the opposite: Temperatures are ok, but the CPU throttles down because HP chose to configure a 35w TDP instead of a 45w standard TDP specified by Intel, so the CPU doesn't get enough power and it throttles down consistently.

I understand that HP configured it this way. However, is there any chance that we can expect a BIOS update in future where we can adjust the power levels between "low" and "standard"? Virtually every other manufacturer does that, but HP doesn't for a reason. Otherwise, what's the point in selling a good CPU and throttling it down at the same time?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@Luna777 I will forward your feedback to the R&D team and suggest them to work on a BIOS update with such changes, however, there's no saying when an update as such would be released, I suggest you look for the latest BIOS update and install it to attempt a fix of the CPU throttling issue:

1. Go to HP Software and Drivers Downloads, and then navigate to the product page for your computer.

2. Locate BIOS in the list.

• If the BIOS option is not available, the BIOS is up-to-date.

• If the BIOS option is available, click BIOS, and then click Download next to the update. Follow the on-screen prompts, and then restart the computer. For more information, go to Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System).

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 🙂 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for forwarding my request. Would be great if HP Omen let the user configure the power profiles via Command Center or BIOS just like competitors have done for years now.

Btw, the link you gave me for the driver downloads doesn't work.

HP Recommended

@Luna777 There seems to have been an error on the hyperlink, however, I have updated the same for you: click here to access it

And as I said, I have forwarded the request, though I'm not sure if that will be implemented, let's hope for the best.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.