cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
tiger79
Level 1
6 3 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

How many external monitors via ThunderBolt

HP Recommended
Omen 17-cb1670nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I am trying to connect two 4k monitors (Samsung U28E570D ) via a Dell K16A dock on my Omen 17-cb1670nd laptop.

The dock is getting recognized by the Thunderbolt Control Center.

All cables are connected correctly and if I replace the Omen with a Dell XPS everything works just fine.

So what is the issue ? The laptop only recognizes one of the two monitors at a time. So if I disconnect the one that is being recognized the second one will be recognized. Both monitors are connected via DP.

My first question would be : does my omen with its RTX 2060 gfx card and it's 300Hz full-hd screen support two extra 4k (60hz) screens ?
Because if this isn't the case then looking further in the dock makes no sense 😛

4 REPLIES 4
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
96,827 65,540 12,547 21,627
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@tiger79 

Firstly the normal rule is: resolution goes up, refresh rate will go down and vise versa.

In general a Thunderbolt™ 3 port allows the connection of two 4K monitors (60Hz), one 5K (60Hz), or one 4K at 120 Hz per port.

Note: Thunderbolt™ 3 supports daisy chain monitors.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
tiger79
Author
Level 1
6 3 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

to begin thank you for your answer. I have to admit that I already knew about the mentioned rule of thumb 😉

What I'd really like to know for sure is if my laptop, having a native screen with a 300hz refresh rate, is also capable of connecting two supplementary 4k monitors (60hz) via Thunderbolt.

So will the RTX 2060 be able to address these 3 monitors at the same time ?

MV916
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Were you ever able to solution for this and get 2 monitors working through the thunderbolt 3 port?

tiger79
Author
Level 1
6 3 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately no, so now I am forced to use the two video outputs of the laptop (display port and hdmi) and directly connecting the peripherals (mouse and keyboard).

So this laptop in combination with a thunderbolt docking station was a no go for me.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation