Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Laptop 15t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just received my Omen laptop and am unable to adjust the brightness.  The function keys do not work and there isn't any other place I can find that allows the brightness to be changed.  All the other function keys actually function but the brightness ones do not.  My drivers are all up to date.  Also, my battery life is extremely short.  When in use the battery lasts maybe an hour.  Even idling it doesn't last more than a couple hours.  The laptop also seems to be running very hot.  I am wondering if all of these things are connected.  I tried chatting with HP Support but they didn't seem to be familiar with this laptop.  Does anyone have any suggestions for any of these issues?  Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Beezou  What do you mean, HP Support isn't familiar with your model?

A 15t is one of the CTO (config to order) models and there is no specs page to look up. But they should still be familiar with it.

How exactly are you contacting them? From the official link here? ...

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site 

Is it fully updated via both the Windows updates and HP Support Assistant?

IF so and no joy, I would contact HP again and do a warranty claim to have it looked at.

I would consider reinstalling Windows first though and see how it does.

HP Recommended

I contacted them through my HP Support Assistant.  He was not from the US and was unfamiliar with the Omen.  He didn't say that but he couldn't answer my questions at all.  I ended up restoring my laptop back to factory settings tonight and the brightness is now able to be controlled through all the normal channels (FN + F1 and F2 and also the brightness bar in the bottom notification panel.  It stopped detecting my graphics card so that's why I restored it and now it works.  

HP Recommended

Glad its working now...

Did you use Windows Reset this PC?

I was at the understanding that the HP Recovery was no longer installed on them.

If you dont know the difference, thats OK. Just was curious.

HP Recommended

I did it through the Control Panel in Security and Maintenance.

HP Recommended

Glad the issue was solved. But it might've been because of a setting in BIOS that got reset to its normal value, that allowed the function keys to work normally.

EDIT: Did some research, I believe it's called Action Keys mode. Should be disabled so FN keys work normally.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: I am not a HP Employee, so take some of my advice with a grain of salt, I can and will help people the best I can however when I'm available.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.