Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 5102na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there anyone that could please tell me how to disable the Bang & Olufsen audio correction? I'm sure that some people would love it but I work with audio and I really can't stand the way it changes the sound. I tried opening the Bang & Olufsen control panel but I can't deselect the correction in the "listening experience" section nor can I change the related equalization. Please someone help, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found a solution: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/Beats-Audio-compression-and-volume-fluctuat...

1. Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
  2. In the list of audio device drivers, look for Realtek High Definition Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
  3. Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
  8. In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
  9. At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
  10. In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllerssection, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead ofRealtek High Definition Audio.
  11. At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.
  12. Enjoy your music now with no compression!!

Credit to SteveCT99

This does disable Bang & Olufsen audio, but I just installed this system-wide EQ instead: http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

HP should release a driver that let us access the "Enhancements" tab so we can turn off "Loudness Equalization" (although "Loudness Equalization" shouldn't be on by default in the first place).

The current driver is defect.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hello @FeedZombies,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I read your post about the audio correction issue, and wanted to assist you!

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Can you please post the solution here ?

I have the same problem.

HP Recommended

Well I worked around it for a bit: I uninstalled the official driver and installed the general Realtek HD driver from the website, also apparently if you unplug your headphones (which to me makes NO sense at all. cause in a worse case scenario you'd have to correct the laptop speakers, not the headphones) you have the ability to change the correction on/off and change the levels and presets. For a period of time it remained froze as when I plug headphones on the "movie" settings but disabled. It was amazing to be able to work on music and listen to it normally even without the ASIO drivers. Now it's back to having that problem and as a producer I'd really hate that manufacturers do this because making audio sound right on all system would basically be impossible. I hope its just a bug of few people because it's not even an enjoyable correction, it even cuts the low frequencies ("the bass") which is what usually everyone wants to hear the most. But I noticed the HP suggestion now to actually contact them about this, so I'll give that a try hoping they can fix it (and hoping that they send a patch to all Omen or Bang & Olufsen users because this version is really sad right now lol). I'll let you know unless I forget 😛

HP Recommended

I'm in a similar situation, basically I want to disable the "effect enhancements" that WIndows has by default but having B&O actually blocks that tab in sound settings so you can't disable it.

If I uninstall the driver all together I get an awful quality wiht no bass, if I install the generic realtek drivers B&O comes back! So is there maybe another unofficial why (registry maybe) to disable audio enhancements in windows?

For me this only applies to headphones since b&o "profiles" like MUsic or Movies don't apply when using headphone but only via speakers... but then again I can't disable what Window does by default.

I just don't get why I can't use the realtek drivers as is, did HP make some kind of deal to include b&o in the generic drivers as well?

HP Recommended

I found a solution: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/Beats-Audio-compression-and-volume-fluctuat...

1. Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
  2. In the list of audio device drivers, look for Realtek High Definition Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
  3. Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
  8. In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
  9. At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
  10. In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllerssection, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead ofRealtek High Definition Audio.
  11. At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.
  12. Enjoy your music now with no compression!!

Credit to SteveCT99

This does disable Bang & Olufsen audio, but I just installed this system-wide EQ instead: http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

HP should release a driver that let us access the "Enhancements" tab so we can turn off "Loudness Equalization" (although "Loudness Equalization" shouldn't be on by default in the first place).

The current driver is defect.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue. Bang & Olufsen is blocking the enhancements tab in sound speaker properties and can't turn off the auto enhancements equalization. When i play music the volume keeps changing up and down on it's own during play back. I had to disable the realtek Driver and switch it to Microsoft HD audio driver. The main reason I bought my HP Envy 750-124  is because it's suppose to have very good sound quality Bang & Olufsen. So frustrating 

HP Recommended

Has anyone fould a permanent fix for this? Updating the driver to the Generic driver only works for a couple of days and then Windows 10 updates the driver back to the Realtek.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

The fix works but why can't we use the CHIPSET drivers without this B&O crap? It's basically included in the drivers so it's also Realtek's fault!

I'm ok with keeping it but I want to disable Windows effects which I really can't stand.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.