Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-cb1003na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I’ve been reading up on how to get the most out of my new laptop and I see a lot about undervolting and mention of the i7-10750h being locked by some manufacturers and unlocked by others. I’m just wondering is there a safe way to do it, or is it something that will ever be opened up?

Also with the Omen Command Centre I have 3 performance profiles to choose from but I’ve not been to find specific information about what they do. For example, is changing thermal limits and fan speed or is it physically altering the capability of CPU/GPU with more or less power?

Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can use RivaTuner Statistics Server OSD to show CPU/GPU temperature, frequencies and even if the GPU is limited by temps, low voltage or because there's no load on it. With that it's easy to see if you're hitting thermal throttling. But if your temps are at/below 80C it's unlikely, modern Intel chips go full speed up to 95C (Nvidia cards go up to 93C).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The easiest way to undervolt  is with ThrottleStop: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Click on "FIVR" at the bottom. You generally want to adjust the Core and Cache offsets, just make sure you set them to the same values or it won't accept the values. Start with something like -50mV and do some torture test or fire up a game and play for a while. If it's stable you can go lower in -10mV steps until your system crashes. Now you know how yow you can go. Done. If that's not clear enough just search for a howto, there's a few you can find on the Internet.

Undervolting is generally safe, unlike overclocking/overvolting it can't do any damage to the components and it won't void your warranty. The only risk is possible instability if you go too low. I'm currently at -150mV on a 8300H which translates to about 5-10C less at full load. Thermal throttling is lessened and sustained performance (boost clocks) improved.

HP Recommended

I tried that but, although it let me adjust values, they didn’t actually seem to take. From what I’m reading this particular CPU is locked but some brands allow it to be undervolted so I’m confused.

HP Recommended

Yeah, with the 10k series Intel started disabling undervolting due to a vulnerability that was found. Even previous generations can have it disabled with a BIOS update or microcode updates. If you don't see any improvement in thermals your CPU appears to have undervolting disabled, I'm afraid. If you have problems with overheating you might want to look into replacing the thermal paste instead. Some people even replace it with liquid metal for massive reductions (15-20C less), but this voids warranty, so I can't recommend it unless you can live with that.

HP Recommended

Well I’m not even sure it’s throttling haha. I’m just trying to squeeze as much out of it as I can in the most efficient way. I was running Microsoft Flight Simulator with everything at absolute maximum (even render scale right up which I don’t need just to test) and temp spiked at low 90s but was mostly 80 with FPS of about 25ish. Just not sure if I’d achieve higher FPS somehow or if the temp is standard and won’t throttle at all.

Not seeing specific different with the command centre profiles either so not sure which is best to run as one is literally called gaming but I don’t get what is different about it.

HP Recommended

You can use RivaTuner Statistics Server OSD to show CPU/GPU temperature, frequencies and even if the GPU is limited by temps, low voltage or because there's no load on it. With that it's easy to see if you're hitting thermal throttling. But if your temps are at/below 80C it's unlikely, modern Intel chips go full speed up to 95C (Nvidia cards go up to 93C).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.