cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlassJoe92
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Is it possible to exceed the 32GB RAM suggestion on the HP Omen 17 (2XP11AV)?

HP Recommended
HP Omen 17 2XP11AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my RAM beyond the 16GB as I'm doing a lot of rendering in Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro and it tends to hog my memory while I'm working in other apps. I see that HP suggests a max of 32GB, but from what I can tell, the Intel i7-8750H can handle up to 64GB RAM at 2666MHz. I can't find too much information on the motherboard which appears to be model 846A 68.21 or part number L11136-601.

Are there any reasons why the 32GB is suggested and not a 64GB setup? What am I missing and what would the potential repercussions be aside from not being able to POST? 

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
132,241 122,418 20,125 30,858
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you have the money to gamble on it, the worst that will happen is the PC won't boot.

I believe the notebook would only support 64 GB of memory would be if it had 4 memory slots and yours only has two.

For example, the higher end HP business class mobile workstations with that processor have 4 memory slots and in those, 64 GB would work.

The barometer I use for whether or not I want to gamble on memory working beyond the PC's manufacturer's specs is the Crucial memory report.

The report for your model indicates that 32 GB is the max.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-omen-17t-an100-cto

In conclusion, I would say the odds are against you for 2 x 32 GB of memory working in your notebook.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation