Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-dc1052nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have the 4 zone lighting. I have had my laptop since last June ( HP OMEN 15-dc1052nr ) with very few or minor problems I couldn't troubleshoot.  Just in the past few days I started experiencing an issue with WASD key lighting. Every part of the keyboard lights up so the lights are working and it doesn't seem like a hardware issue. However, those specific keys are changing color. I can trigger it sometimes when I hit the "A" key, but they also are  just randomly flickering the wrong colors on their own without me hitting any keys at all. This is very distracting. I have tried:

• Restarting with all peripherals disconnected
  • Updating drivers
  • Uninstalling all keyboard related drivers with all peripherals disconnected and then restarting again. 
  • Changing colors back to default ( they still change to a different color)
  • Trying a different range of colors( it always will find a correspondingly different color to change to, though it does stay constant with whatever secondary color it chooses)

I do not recall installing anything since this started 2 or 3 days ago... with the exception of two BIOS updates ( it's on f.16) that the laptop pushed on its own. I would guess that maybe this has something to do with it as I'm not sure what else it could be, but I'd rather not mess with the BIOS if I don't have to... I get really nervous flashing it.

Thanks for any help! I love my laptop otherwise.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

As an update they sometimes will go dark and not work at all now.

HP Recommended

@Lfnikitafn,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the WASD keys backlight is not working correctly.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you uninstall Omen command center from the computer and they download and install it from Microsoft store.

Download link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/omen-command-center/9nqdw009t0t5?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately uninstalling the Omen Command Center and reinstalling from the Microsoft store did not help. 

I also tried to roll back and do a system restore but my laptop did not like the restore point I chose and refused to boot up, so I had to undo that as well. 

Any more advice? 

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Lfnikitafn,

I recommend you download and install the Omen command center from the below link and check.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp100001-100500/sp100244.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again,

I tried to install the download from that link but it wouldn't install that way... it did show the cmd prompt window and the last line said "registry key or value not found" before it initiated a windows shutdown and restart. I'm not sure where to go from here. I appreciate your help though.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, and it happened in the same way, sometimes the keys went dark and now they don't turn on. I noticed all started with an OCC update.

HP Recommended

@MasterKiller92 Thanks for sharing your concern with the HP Community,

here's what I'll need, so I may be able to provide an accurate solution:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: click here

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.)

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

Have you attempted a system restore?

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

To thank me for my efforts to help you,

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.