Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 17-an-051nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, 

Since a few weeks I have a problem that my laptop shuts down without warning. It doesn't matter when I'm gaming, browsing or working on my laptop.

When I'm on my laptop on battery (so not charging) my battery indicator says like 30% (or another %) and my laptop shuts down without warning. I have to put my laptop on the charger and I can turn my laptop on. When I start it up my keyboard backlight is off.

I think my battery is completely empty and I have to charge it again.

- Already did battery check, no problems 

- Have updated my GeForce via GeForce Experience

What could be the problem and how can I fix this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MikeBlacksz

Thanks for keeping us posted

At this point I suggest you contact HP Support for Battery replacement or Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@MikeBlacksz Welcome to HP Community!

here's what you need to do:

If Windows suddenly restarts without warning, or restarts when you try to shut it down, it might be caused by one of several issues. Windows could be set to restart automatically when certain system errors occur. A BIOS update can also resolve the issue. Use the information in this document to resolve issues with the computer restarting unexpectedly.

If the computer restarts unexpectedly and then does not start to Windows, see one of the following documents for steps to resolve this issue:

In addition to the steps in this article, updating video card drivers is known to resolve many of the problems that can cause the computer to restart.

Windows restarts for no apparent reason

Follow the steps in this section, in order, until the problem is resolved.

Step 1: Disabling the automatic restart option to view error messages

Many hardware driver or operating system errors will cause the computer to display a specific error message before stopping the operation or shutting down the computer. However, if the Automatically restart option is enabled, an error message might not be displayed despite an error taking place. Disable this option to allow the computer to display the error message.

Follow these steps to disable the Automatically restart option:

1. In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.

2. Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you so much for your response. I've changed the "automaticly restart" option. Also will do test in bios.

I let you know if I keep getting the problem.

HP Recommended

@MikeBlacksz Awesome, take your time and keep us posted,

Good luck and Good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thanks for the help for so far.

Unfortunaly my laptop turns off at around 30%. It's just the same: In one moment the laptop goes "poof" and it's turned off. I have to plug the charger in and then I can turn it on. When Windows has booted my battery indicator says 0%.

- Have done BIOS check, nothing wrong

- Have updated BIOS

- Had an update from my video driver

- Everything is up 2 date

It seems like my Battery indicator fails somehow. HP accucheck says that everything is fine.

• Garantietype: 1
  • Aantal cycli: 366 / 300
  • Fabrikant: 131-42-E9-A
  • Leeftijd van de accu: 710 dagen
  • Serienummer: 28249 11/27/2017
  • Temperatuur: 30 °C
  • Ontwerpcapaciteit: 5973 mAh
  • Maximale capaciteit: 3104 mAh (51%)
  • Resterende capaciteit: 216 mAh
  • Stroom: 4138 mA
  • Eindspanning: 15080 mV
  • Ontwerpspanning: 14400 mV
  • Celspanning 1: 3760 mV
  • Celspanning 2: 3777 mV
  • Celspanning 3: 3763 mV
  • Celspanning 4: 3779 mV
  • Netvoeding: Ja
  • CT-nummer: 6GHZQC4GWA60LH
  • Fout-id: OK
HP Recommended

@MikeBlacksz I suggest you update the BIOS using the steps mentioned here,

if that doesn't help, please use the below steps to test and calibrate the battery and the ac adapter!

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there. 

I've already updated the bios and did a battery check. So it's no use to do that again (there is also no update available).

I think the battery indicator is bad. 

HP Recommended

@MikeBlacksz

Thanks for keeping us posted

At this point I suggest you contact HP Support for Battery replacement or Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help. I will contact costumer support. 

HP Recommended

@MikeBlacksz

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.