Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-wf0000 (755G1AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

My laptop is not turning on. The screen is black and the light on the power button is off. When I plug my laptop in, the light at the charging port turns on, but my laptop still wont turn on. I have tried to use the virtual assistant, but none of the solutions do anything. I did not notice anything strange before it stopped working and I did not recently update anything. Is there anything I can do?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Vincent97,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds frustrating to deal with your laptop not turning on. Here are a few steps you can try to potentially resolve the issue or at least identify the cause:

Power Reset Your Laptop:

• Disconnect all peripherals (e.g., USB devices, external monitors).
  • Unplug the power adapter and, if possible, remove the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds to drain residual power.
  • Reinsert the battery (if it was removed), connect the power adapter, and try turning on the laptop again.

Check the Display:

• Sometimes the issue might appear to be with the laptop not turning on when it's actually the display that's not working. Try connecting an external monitor or TV to your laptop. If the external display works, the problem might be with your laptop's screen.

Examine the Power Supply and Battery:

• Since the charging light turns on, your adapter seems to be working, but ensure it's delivering the correct voltage to your laptop. If you have access to another compatible charger, try using it to rule out a faulty power adapter.
  • If your laptop's battery is accessible, try removing it and powering the laptop just with the charger connected. Some faulty batteries can prevent laptops from booting.

Listen for Beeps or Watch for Blinking Lights:

• Some laptops have diagnostic indicators in the form of beep codes or blinking lights. If your laptop emits any beeps or has blinking lights when attempting to turn on, note the pattern. These are diagnostic codes that can help identify hardware issues.

Use a Hard Reset or BIOS/UEFI Reset:

• Look for a small pinhole on the laptop’s body. Some models have a 'reset' button that can be pressed with a paperclip. This can reset the device to a state that might allow it to boot.
  • Try to access the BIOS or UEFI settings by pressing the specific key (often F2, F10, Del, or Esc) immediately after powering on the laptop. If you can access BIOS/UEFI, it indicates a potential software issue or a problem with the storage drive.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.