Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Ok so I shut down my computer and the next day it won't boot. When the power button is pressed it will flash once and then nothing as if there is no power.

I have tried do a static purge by removing the battery and holding the power button for a minute and reinserting the battery, I have also done this with no battery afterwards and just the power cable, I have also done this after removing the ram and reinstalling it.

I don't see a cmos battery visible so I don't think I can reset the bios that way and the computer is obvious not reaching post in it's boot sequence.

I tested the battery with a multimeter and it's reading 15.4v just like it should be the power cable also reads at 135 watts as it should be so I'm stumped. 

Computer is Hp Omen Laptop

Model no. 15-dc0096nr

Computer is just over 1 year old ram was upgraded within the last 6 months to crucial 16gb x2 ddr4 2666mhz but other than that it hasnt been opened I used an anti static bracelet during installation as well.

It is only used for web browsing and light gaming and is mostly for the utility of storing photos 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Got on driverslib and found the last firmware version fixed my code 10 going to make a new post for the fact installing my ram bricks my computer

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Ninja_Dude 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

The motherboard is probably short-circuited.

HP warranty expired:

You should have it serviced by a professional notebook (chip level) repair store.

Alternative:

If it can't be repaired or replacing the motherboard is too expensive, you should buy another notebook.

Good luck

HP Recommended

So I dug out the old ram stick that came stock and slapped that in and it booted right up. I then finally hit post and got a corrupted cmos message So firmware reset automatically and windows has launched multiple times without issue. I factory reset and have been manually going through updating drivers after the regular automatic updates finished. Somehow in this process I lost the ability to go into the Nvidia console and tweak the graphics card settings. The icon won't launch the console even tho it's in control panel. I am currently installing the most recent bios update I'm hoping this will fix the issue with my ram cause it will lock up now when I put my larger sticks back in. I don't know why they worked just fine for so long and are now having issues months later. 

HP Recommended

Update. I've finished updating all my drivers and my Nvidia console has returned but I popped into the device manager and I am now getting a code 10 on my firmware I searched around and have tried uninstalling the driver but it has the same issue. I've downloaded the newest version from HP but everytime I run it it freezes the computer and even after 30mins it does nothing. I've had to force shutdown it both times I've tried which is terrifying when trying to install a new firmware so I'm at a lost of how to remedy it right now should I just install a previous version? If so I'm not sure where is a trusted place to acquire it

HP Recommended

Got on driverslib and found the last firmware version fixed my code 10 going to make a new post for the fact installing my ram bricks my computer

HP Recommended

Hello @Ninja_Dude 

You did it !

Good luck

HP Recommended

I do the same thing but issue is still there 🙄 

HP Recommended

A lot of the time if it won't reach post it can just be something simple like a static build up, bad battery or bad charging port you can disconnect your battery and power cord then hold the power button for 1 minute to discharge the capacitors and reconnect the battery to test if it's the battery, repeat the process but only connect the charger to test it, another thing that can cause this is the cmos battery going dead most laptops don't have these anymore but it would be worth a Google search to see if your model does. Pcmonkey on YouTube has videos demonstrating how to do these things. My issue was tied to the fact I had upgraded my ram I'm thinking there were manufacturing flaws in my ram causing it to go bad faster than normal because as soon as I put the original ram back in it booted properly. I never found an actual answer as to why I had my issue but I hope everything I learned in the process helps you out

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.