Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
195P5AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought a 195P5AV which I might have to immediately return if I cannot figure this out. I have not had issues in the past with HP but now I have tried to install Linux mint 19.1 and 20 with no solution. I bought this laptop for dual boot specifically. I created both DVD and flash drive with etcher and both fail to load. I already created the blank partition in windows.

Here are some oddities:

- Takes very long to boot into the flash or dvd

- When I boot into the flash, which is 8Gb in size, and choose Start Linux mint 20.1 MATE, it first shows ACPI BIOS errors of Failure creating named object...Error already exists during named lookup...

It eventually boots into the flash. So I hit the "Install Linux Mint" icon... I get an error: You need at least 12.7 Gb, this computer only has 8 Gb!!!

So clearly its only finding the flash drive iteself and not the Windows OS partitions.

- If I turn off Secure boot and do the same as above, click install...I just get a black blank screen and nothing...I have to reboot.

So looks like this HP cant handle it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mike

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Since no one can answer and support literally cannot help. I will return this laptop and move somewhere else. I would say the issue is most likely the RST that is on the toshiba drive in the laptop. Since there is no easy way to get linux to see the windows partitions without booting into safe mode, switching to AHCI, then back again after a possible install without potentially killing windows I will pass. I would need to find a laptop that does not have the RAID/RST feature installed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.