Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello there,

I have owned a HP pavilion notebook for a number of years ( a very good machine that seems to handle anything I throw at it), and i have had to restore to factory settings many times use the recovery manager. This week I went to do it again but the system image appears to be missing. The computer still functions but there are creeping problems that a system reset would solve. Is there any way to recover that system image? for reference I usually reset the computer by holding F11 at bootup and  using the recovery manager, but this time it says it cant find the system image.

Thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm sorry about the late reply. I tried messing with one of the partitions in the backup HD that was working, and it stopped working. That made finding and fixing the issue harder. The root of the issue was that I was not able to use USB bootable media to reinstall windows or run a boot repair media, because everytime I would try the previous screen with the asterisks would appear. To make the bootable media I would find a suitable ISO file and use rufus to write the necessary files. I was able to get this to work by using the MBR partition scheme instead of the GPT partition scheme on rufus (which is the default option, if you dont change anything). I had immediate success after making this change and was able to reinstall windows 7.

I just wanted to write this for anyone who has a similar problem in the future. Thank you for all your help

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @thomaswcp 

Please check your notebook hardware ! Especially the drive !

Using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) to diagnose hardware errors ...

https://support.hp.com/id-en/document/c04499777

See how it works and do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GKIpGPNRM&ab_channel=HPSupport

Please report your results and send pictures.

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Do this on the post I wrote that helped solve it.

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response. UEFI barely works, as I can get a scan going, but in about 30 min the computer quits it. This is one of the reasons I wanted to try a system reset to factory settings. But unfortunately, as I said, the system image that is usually stored in the computer got deleted somehow. I wanted to order recovery media, but you cant do that anymore.

HP Recommended

Hello @thomaswcp 

@thomaswcp wrote:

... UEFI barely works, as I can get a scan going, but in about 30 min the computer quits it ...

What do you mean "quits it", does the scan stop suddenly or does the scan stop normally ?

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

It stops suddenly... no error messages, just computer is just turned off... some other important details: this started when I tried to upgrade and install windows 10 from windows 7... I made a bootable flash drive, changed the boot order to USB first, but when I restarted the computer the screen started spitting out gibberishWhatsApp Image 2022-06-27 at 10.10.45 AM.jpeg

please ignore the reflection as I had to take a picture of the screen after booting using the flash drive. If I remove the bootable media, it just goes to windows 7 as normal

HP Recommended

Hello @thomaswcp 

@thomaswcp wrote:

It stops suddenly... no error messages, just computer is just turned off...

That's not good ! 

Remove the drive and clone it with another computer.

Please run "all" diagnostic tests (except drive) again.

Can you tell if the notebook has or had overheating problems ?

best regards

---

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

All right, so I have 2 ssd, a 250 GB that seems to boot fine, and a newer 1 TB that boots into the gibberish you saw earlier (every other HD I tried does the same thing, I dont know what it is about the 250gb one that allows it to work). I installed the 250gb HD and tried UEFI

So I ran a system quick Test:

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-27 at 2.46.48 PM (1).jpeg

Then I did a Hard drive test:

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-27 at 2.46.46 PM (1).jpeg

It seems to say that there are 2 HD and one of them has failed. That leads me to think that maybe whatever held the recovery image has failed (just a guess, let me know what you think).

I also tried installing the 1tb HD and running UEFI and this is what I got:

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-27 at 2.46.44 PM.jpeg

I dont really know what to make of the different interface as I did the same thing (hold down F2).

I also tried to reinstall windows 7 and this is what greeted me:

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-27 at 2.46.46 PM.jpeg

the computer had heating problems in the past (it has had heating problems since day 1). Everytime it got out of hand I would clean the dust and it seemed to help a little.

I really appreciate you help

HP Recommended

Hello @thomaswcp 

@thomaswcp wrote:

the computer had heating problems in the past (it has had heating problems since day 1)

I really appreciate you help

In your case: Service is required !
- The computer should be disassembled and checked.
- Thermal paste for CPU GPU and bridges should be renewed
- The function of the fan(s) must be checked
- General cleaning ...

My request to you:

Please tell me the product number (p/n) of your notebook.

You will find this information on the back of your notebook printed in small alphanumeric letters.

I will send you the link for the service manual.

best regards

---

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

So you think its a hardware issue? I thought it might be a software issue... do you know if I can get a recovery image anywhere nowadays?

I did a system check last year... I thought I might need to reassemble everything again, but I was putting it off because I'm not the most adept at it and I never know if my laptop is gonna wake up on the other side... you'd think that after taking the thing apart upwards of 15 times over these 9 years, I'd be a bit more confident, but nope: super anxious everytime

HP Recommended

Hello @thomaswcp 

What HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 CTO do you have ?
- ? Select Edition Entertainment Notebook PC
- ? Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC
- ? Entertainment Notebook PC

best regards

---

Thank you very much

⌨️

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.