Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-da1006ne.
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought this laptop few weeks ago and i updated everything before running anything. However every time i try to run any of the games that i used to play on my old laptop my CPU speed starts stuttering. The only 2 games i usually play is World of Warcraft and Heroes of Newerth, both typically don't require high specs at all. I noticed the issue while playing HoN because the game starts smoothly at 60fps and after a min or less i get sudden drop to 5-7 fps for a min or 2 then it goes back to 60fps for few seconds and the cycle goes on. with the fps drop is reflect in the CPU speed which drops to 0.38Ghz. 
I tried so many things such as reinstalling most of my laptop drivers, changed the power plan to maximum performance, reducing the game visuals to minimum, reinstalled the game, tried while the laptop is connected to AC adapter, and a couple of other options. 
My laptop specs:

Operating system
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Microprocessor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz
System memory
16GB
Memory slot 1
8GB Micron 2400MHz
Memory slot 2
8GB Micron 2400MHz

NVIDIA GeForce MX130

If any one can help would be very appreciated.
Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @Sal3m 

I dont know if I can help, but Ill offer a suggestion or two.

Does your laptop have Optimus (switchable graphics)?  If you open the NVIDIA control panel, there would be a setting that allows you to set which graphics card is used. You can do this globally or just for a specific game.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-s...

Also, you can set the NVIDIA Control panel to use high performance settings.

Here is how to create the settings for a specific program...

Manage 3D Settings Nvidia.JPG

Does that make any difference?

HP Recommended

Hi @Photoray002 

Thank you so much for your help. Unfortunately I have tried that and it doesn't seem to have  solved the issue, I still get CPU & FPS stutters every 1-2 mins.  I have done all kinds of HP checks and optimization on the "HP Support Assistant" and nothing helped.  I am really devastated, been searching for a solution for over 3 weeks now and nothing seems to fix it.  I have nothing else installed on the laptop as it is still new, i only have some basic apps. 
I don't think its a heating problem either as the laptop is still new however the processor and the fan noise definitely increase once i open either of the 2 games. 
Would throttling my CPU help eliminate the stutter? I am still against this option as it might damage the laptop over the long-run and I shouldn't be doing it as the laptop is still new and should be capable running these 2 games easily. 

any other recommendation or help would be appreciated.
Thanks 
HP Recommended

Ok so this also happens if playing while plugged into the charger, correct?

Did you open the Task Manager, highlight the cpu column and see if any service is starting up at the same time the frames drop?

If a program or service is running during that time, you can disable it.

HP Recommended

I have checked if there anything pops up while playing but i don't so, i took a screenshot for you to check if you can see anything that can cause that stutter please let me know. And as you can see the utilization is actually low when the speed drops. and then 1 min or 2 and then the utilization goes back to normal with the normal speed of the CPU.  Thanks Proccesses.pngCPU Speed.jpg

HP Recommended

The thing is, you have to check the task manager the moment the stutter happens. A process might be opening during the drop, then disappear.

I would also run the UEFI diagnostics to see if it finds any possible hardware issue.
While the laptop is off and plugged in to the AC charger, press the power button and rapidly tap the F2 key until the Diagnostics window opens.
Go to the Extensive Test for everything and run it. It will take a few hours to complete.
I will usually find an issue if its present.

If you have all your drivers up to date, then I would contact HP Support directly for a warranty issue.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

Let me know what happens.

HP Recommended

The previous screenshots of the task manager were exactly at the same time my FPS drop, I can’t see any unusual application or processes that pop up at that instance, unless you can spot something in the screen shot.

and I carried on an extensive test for the laptop components and everything seems to be working properly.052B2457-8279-490A-99CC-1BFFB8351C4D.jpeg

please let me know what should I do next. 

Thanks 

HP Recommended

Rather than dump anymore time trouble shooting, I would just have you do a Factory Reset and reinstall Windows again.

Let it update, then install one game and test it out to see what happens.

If it still drops as badly as before, you will need to contact HP Support as I pointed out earlier.

NOTE: This will delete the current data on it, so back up anything if needed.

To do a factory reset...

Open this link, then click on Perform system recovery

Scroll down to Recovery using HP Recovery Manager and expand it...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961#AbT3

HP Recommended

This is so frustrating, my laptop doesn’t seem to even have an Hp recovery manager ! I downloaded a setup for it from another forum but I still can’t find it. 

631E24E4-DE17-4276-9107-158916C73121.jpeg

HP Recommended

Ill see if there is one from HP you can download direct. If not, you can use the ISO from microsoft also.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.