Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop 15-en0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I recently bought the new HP Omen 15 2020 Series laptop, seeing how all the tech YouTubers are saying that its performance is great and it's a great bang-for-the-buck gaming laptop (Well, it's not cheap by any means though).

For the first few weeks, it was working perfectly well and I was extremely pleased with its performance. But just overnight a couple of days ago, when I turned the laptop on and tried running a game, (Destiny 2 to be specific) my frame rate had dropped from a constant 144 on highest settings to 10 on lowest settings. I thought it might've had to do with Destiny acting up, so I tried to play Roblox, which is not a graphically-intensive game by any means. Usually, I play on Graphics quality 10 and get the max frames for Roblox, which is 60. But to my surprise, I would get <5 frames on graphics quality 10 and around 20 on graphics quality 1.

What seemed odd to me was that in both Destiny and Roblox, I would get my previous performance-level frames for a split second, then go back to the extreme lag for a while. This would continue as a loop.

Since this laptop is set to use an integrated AMD Radeon graphics card for normal workspace tasks, and switch over automatically to the dedicated GTX 1660 Ti for games, I thought maybe it was having a problem with switching between the two (which could be the reason why I would get good frames for a split second every once in a while).

I have looked up online on how to fix this problem, and a common answer I got was to go to the Nvidia Control Panel and Manually set Programs I choose to run on the High-Performance Nvidia Graphics Card. I have tried that, along with a variety of other methods including but not limited to:
- Doing all of the recommended Windows Updates
- Updating my drivers for my GPU('s)
- Changing GPU Usage settings
- (Again,) Setting the default graphics card for my laptop to run on
- Restarting my laptop
- Running HP Performance Tune-Up

Expecting for my new, amazing laptop to run smoothly for at least longer than a month out of the box, I still haven't created a restore point, which I regret not doing. I am going to continue searching online for fixes, but I am worried that I will end up changing something that makes my situation worse.

Something that I will soon try is msi afterburner. Not sure what it does, how it works, or even if my laptop can run it/is compatible with it, but as something I have seen people often recommend to others in my situation, I feel as though it could be worth a shot.

Also, to reiterate, I don't remember doing anything specific the day before all of this happened, so I don't think the cause is just me changing a setting or two.

Sorry for the long post, I am just surprised and kind of feel ripped off for something that cost 1.5k to fail on me this early.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

After changing some things, my laptop is using the correct graphics cards now. When running Roblox or Destiny, my 1660 Ti is running them, while google chrome in the background is using the integrated card.

but, even after that issue was fixed, it seems that my problem may be rooted in my CPU. My CPU is the Ryzen 7 4800H, and so running roblox and destiny should not be too overwhelming, especially on the lowest possible settings.

For some more background info, I came to this conclusion after running roblox (might not matter, but I opened the downloadable version, named RobloxPlayerBeta.exe, not the one you get from the windows store) and opening task manager. On task manager, it showed that there was a 50% usage for my 1660 Ti, but a 5% usage for my CPU. Similar showings for when I opened Destiny 2 as well. Does this mean that my cpu is just not able to run at its max potential for some reason? or maybe my gpu got slower, running low frames when 50+ % of its max potential is being used? Not sure, any sort of tips or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@RenuuKun

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed.

While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows)You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.