Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-c0000 (343L4AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello Guys

My Gaming Laptop Is very new and i have issue thats gradually getting worse with my screen, thousands of dots and erratic lines keep appearing and never stop.

Would anyone know how to fix.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @rmoothee 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Connect external monitor via vga/hdmi cable. Same error pattern on external monitor ?

Let me check your current system configuration.

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

--->>> Copy/paste following key/value pairs:

OS Name

Version

System Model

System SKU ( equals HP product number (p/n) )

Processor

BIOS Version/Date

(2Please report your results

HP Recommended

Hello

Yes i can confirm that when connecting an external screen i still have the same issue.

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name OMEN

System Manufacturer HP

System Model OMEN by HP Laptop 16-c0xxx

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU 4S197EA#ABU

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics, 3201 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date AMI F.16, 09/05/2022

HP Recommended

Hello @rmoothee 

(1) Create Windows system <restore point>

How to Create a System Restore Point on Windows 10 or Windows 11

(2) Download and install

NVIDIA Graphics Driver

30.0.15.1179 Rev.A1019.4 MBApr 11, 2022 

AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver

30.0.14024.3 Rev.B761.1 MBMar 17, 2022Download

(3) Restart Windows

(4) Download and install from Microsoft Apps Store

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows

(5) Run <HP Diagnostics for Windows>

- Perform <all> tests

(6) Please report your results ( error messages, take pictures )

( if serial number, device id, UUID, System Board CT Number is displayed, please blur )

HP Recommended

Hello

Just to advise I'm using AMD Radeon Graphics Driver.

Do you still want me to install NVIDIA Graphics Driver?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello @rmoothee 

I edited my previous post, please install AMD graphics driver

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hello @Ub6424

I was completing all the tasks you gave me and found out something.

I normally leave my laptop plugged in and use a larger monitor connected, I wanted to used my laptop mobile and unplugged the power lead and to my surprise the screen is perfect with the power adaptor unplugged.

I've tried plugging in power lead in/out/in/out all day long and screen turns crazy as usual every time its plugged in.

So power lead plugged in is the issue.

How to fix this is the question 

HP Recommended

Could it be that when you are plugged into power, the discrete graphics card is being used, and when on battery power the built in graphics is being used ?  You could adjust your settings and quickly find out.  If it is indeed your discrete gpu that is artifacting, and its under warranty, please get a ticket opened as soon as possible.  I'm a smidge out of warranty with the same laptop and there are no parts for it.

HP Recommended

Hi @Loomis1975

Did you have same issue as me?

Luckily I has a free offer to extend warranty for 3 years, meaning I've lots of time to Try remedy the issue first, but if I can't resolve then for sure I'll do what you recommend and apply for HP Ticket for a repair.

Would you be able to explain how I could do a check using setting please, so I could try to locate the fault easier. I not sure how to actually.

Thanks 

HP Recommended

Hello,

No I do not have the exact same issue.  My dedicated graphics on the same laptop stopped working, reported as a code 43 in the device manager.  Yours still appears to function, but with problems.

I got out the laptop and tried a few things.  I can still hookup and see on an external monitor via USB-C with just the integrated graphics.  So you can try this with either just the laptop screen in use or one external monitor.

Right click on the Start Logo on desktop taskbar and select Device Manager from the menu.

Find the "Display adapters" listing and click on the ">" to the left of it to expand the menu tree for that item.

Should have listed:

AMD Radeon RX 6600M

AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics

The first one is the listing for your dedicated graphics card and the second one is the integrated graphics.

Focus on the AMD Radeon RX 6600M listing.  Right click on it and select Disable device.  You will get a pop up box asking if you really want to disable it, click "Yes".

Now the screen icon right next to the AMD Radeon RX 6600M listing in the device manager will have a black down arrow  in a small white circle indicating that it is disabled. 

My hypothesis is that when you disable the RX6600M graphics as explained above, the artifacts will go away because the problem graphics card is currently disabled.

If you can't see what you are doing well enough to do the above with the laptop plugged into power due to the artifacting, you can disable the RX6600M via device manager when your laptop is unplugged and you can see what you are doing, then plug the power back in and see if the artifacting resumes.  If it does not, that is expected.

Once you have the laptop on power cord and with RX6600M disabled, and no artifacts, then go back to device manager, Right click on the now disabled "AMD Radeon RX 6600M" listing and select "Enable device".

If the artifacts come back, then it is indeed being caused by malfunction of the discrete graphics.

You can always leave the discrete graphics disabled, but its just like having a simpler notebook with NO discrete graphics card at all, i.e. a notebook that should cost at least a 1/3 less than a gaming laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.