Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen by HP Laptop 15-dh0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got my brand new Omen laptop. Out of the box the keyboard backlight worked just fine, even though I just had zone lighting. It could be turned of and on via FN+F4 as intended. I then uninstalled the HP Jump Start and the backlight stop working. The software was reinstalled with no change. 

I then made a total system recovery via the HP Cloud Recovery Tool, but no change.

I tried the solution here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Keyboard-lighting-colour-change-option-missing-in-Com...

It does not work.

I never had a backlight option in the Omen Command Center...

What do I do now?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@JackFlash80 If you've installed the application from the windows store and reinstalled windows using the HP Cloud recovery tool, yet the light options to not appear, you may want to ensure its compatible with your device/model: Click here to verify the same.

If you've confirmed that it is supported and yet doesn't appear, let's run an extensive hardware test to ensure there aren't any hardware malfunctions on your device:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again.

The model name is 15-dc0018nt according to the HP system detect tool. That model may not have a lighting option in the Omen Command Center, but I am 100% sure I did have zone lighting out of the box. The product pictures show a lit keyboard.

I did a BIOS system scan with no errors what so ever.

HP Recommended

@JackFlash80 The keyboard may have a backlight, however, changing the lights on the backlight is not supported as per the article I had shared earlier, 

Also, "Use Spacebar" : Turns the keyboard lights on and off when pressed in combination with the fn key (select models only) or the other Fn with F9 combinations to check if that works.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That model number doesnt come up in the hp databases. So we cant find its information. Would you post the product number instead? Run the hp support assistant to find it. Thanks

HP Recommended

Product number: 7GS63EA#UUW (Got it for a review)

Space or F9 doe not work neither.

I have some more issues not regarding this topic. Should I start a new thread?

HP Recommended

If you have other issues, yes start a new thread and one of us will be able to help.

HP Recommended

Your model number is OMEN by HP 15-dh0018no.

It does have 4 zone keyboard lighting.

Did you run the extensive test in the UEFI Diagnostics like @Riddle_Decipher  mentioned?

Also, in the other fix you linked in the post above, did you follow the instructions exactly as they were posted? You need to manually run Windows updates several times. In other words, even though it says its up to date, click the check for updates button anyway. If it installs anything, reboot and go back and do it again.

IF you did all of this and the lighting is not coming on at all, even via the F4 or F5 key (or FN and F4/5), something went south in the hardware thats not being detected.

Let me know.

HP Recommended

Hello and sorry for the late reply. I have run the Diagnostics with no errors what so ever. (I stopped the diagnostics after three loops without errors. Was that wrong?)

Windows is up to date and no other updates are available. 

The error did occur when I uninstalled some HP software I thought was unnecessary. I then did a full system restore via the cloud recovery software, but the problem did not resolve. 

HP Recommended

Some new info:

Just made a new, fresh install from a Microsoft tool, and the backlight worked for some time on 2/3 of the keyboard. The middle part was lit in green and the right part in red. For some time...

Started to install drivers from the HP site (i.e Omen Command Center) and the lighting stopped working. First the middle part and then it stopped completely. Now I can't get it to work at all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.