Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming 17 -cd0033na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an unusually loud beeping/buzzing/screeching/whining coming from the i7 in my new gaming notebook - I’m sure that it is coming from the CPU (or associated circuitry) from my testing.

when sitting at idle with nothing open the cpu sits at about 3% utilisation but spikes up to between 4-5GHZ clock - which is where the noise is loudest it seems, as when I limit the maximum cpu level through the power options the noise reduces the more I limit the cpu and it sits at much lower clock rates between 1 and 2GHZ - if I limit the max to 40% the noise is completely gone.

the noise is also less noticeable when not plugged in to power - I believe because if the lower clock again - that happens automatically for power saving

I have also tried disabling idle processor and this also works to stop the noise (but results in the cpu having 100% utilisation) and hence the fans kicking in  

I know all laptops produce this sound - however it is often very quiet and mostly unnoticeable, it is unusually loud on this model and is rather annoying as it can easily be heard when using the laptop at a desk or are standing a couple of feet away from it. Ive never been able to hear the whine as much  as on this laptop - 

Currently I have to limit the max cpu level inside power options to 70% whenever I get annoyed with the constant screeching/beeping and then swap it back when I want to do more intensive tasks - however I don’t think this should be nessecary so does anyone else have this issue + a solution for this issue  

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Josh56

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Asmita - I’ll ask the support team 🙂

Im mainly posting on here to see if anyone else had the same issue or is it an issue with the product line / if there is a good chance of getting it resolved 🙂 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.