Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc0xxx. 3WL02UAR#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I have a game that requires my Nvidia video card (GTX 1050 Ti) which came with my PC, but it has stopped working since day 1. I have tried uninstalling the card and reinstalling, but the results are the same, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".  I've found this thread from the Microsoft forums which reports a very similar issue. That thread was in 2017, so maybe the graphics setting was changed? If there is another possible solution or more information that is needed to get an answer, please let me know. 

Thanks, 

Jam

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Jam27 

Your product number indicates a refurbished model and you say this has been happening since the first day you had it. But you didn't indicate when you purchased. So I assume you cannot return the unit, is this correct?

All I can offer is a couple of things.

Open the NVIDIA control panel like the links you gave instructed. Make sure Optimus (switchable graphics) is disabled.

Follow the example below to disable it...

Under Manage 3D settings, select the Global Settings tab. Under Preferred Graphics Processor, there should be a drop down for the NVIDIA card. Select that.

Omen dc1057nr.PNG

Have you also tried to clean reinstall the NVIDIA drivers?

IF that does not work, see if you still have the UEFI Diagnostics tools. Make sure you are plugged in with the Power Cord also.

NOTE: If its not there, either you or whomever refurbed the unit didn't reinstall with HP's recovery.  If this is the case, you can install the Windows version of the diagnostics tool and try run it from there.

Tap F2 at Power-On (before Windows boots) and the tools menu should open.

Select Component Tests and run the System Board test.

If no error found, run the Extensive test for everything.

IF no errors found, you might have to resort to the last option of reinstalling Windows.

If it still gives you the error, then its most likely hardware related and the diagnostics just didn't pick it up.

HP Recommended

Hi,

When I open the Control Panel, I get this error:

snip.PNG

Is there an alternative way of installing the Control Panel not on the Windows Store? It seems like many people are also having problems with the program working through the Microsoft Store based on the reviews.

Thanks,

Jam

HP Recommended

When I open the Control Panel, I get this error:

OK so did you try Clean Installing the NVIDIA driver?

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/162106/en-us

Run the installer and choose to clean install it.

What is the result?

If that is the driver you have and you CLEAN installed it, did you try a previous driver a few version back?

I would recommend an older driver, but I don't know how long ago you got this refurbished model or what it had installed already.

Did you go ahead and run the UEFI Diagnostics?

What was the result?

Details help me know whats going on.

HP Recommended

Hey @

Hope this information helps, let me know if there's any other information you need,

Jam

HP Recommended

Thanks, the photos help me see a little of whats going on.

So the UEFI Diagnostics via F2 are not installed. Ergo the screen you see in question 3. That is a minimal test setup via bios. What you ran was Windows version of the diagnostics. That does not have the extended test options for the motherboard and graphics like the UEFI drive partition version does.

Where did you get this laptop if I may ask?

Is it returnable still or have any kind of warranty on it?

They did not use an HP recovery to reinstall Windows with, so the Diagnostics partition is missing which is not like HP. So I'm thinking some 3rd party seller did this.

If you open the Device Manager, go to Display adapters and drop the arrow down. Is there a yellow caution sign in there anywhere?

To open it... In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, then press the Enter key to open it.

display adapter in device manager.JPG

HP Recommended

If there is a yellow caution sign there, right click on the item and choose to uninstall it. Reboot Windows.

What happens?

If no caution sign or nothing happens from above, I would consider reinstalling windows. But use the HP Cloud Recovery tool to do it. You will need a 32GB USB pen drive. Then follow the instructions on this link. HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7)

Its going to wipe your drive and everything on it. If you need to, connect a USB external hard drive and copy what ever important data to it first.

If reinstalling Windows via the HP setup does not work, you have a hardware issue. Most likely that will call for a motherboard replacement. I'm sorry.

Edited to note: You had mentioned if Windows was OK of it wasn't the HP Recovery install. If the seller used the base copy of Windows from Microsoft using the MS Media Creation tool, that is OK. No harm done other than none of the HP software or partitions get put back on. Unless it was a seller that used a hacked copy of some sort (obviously). But I recommend you use the HP installer this time.

HP Recommended

Hi,

It seems like there's a problem with the graphics card or something similar. When the battery was drained the graphics card worked randomly and stopped after a few minutes. I am using a new PC with a working Nvidia graphics card now, but I appreciate your help.

Jam

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.