Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
15-tek000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good evening, 

I purchased a 2020 OMEN with the 2070 max q.  I have an issue when the laptop is under a high load the battery drains.  This would lead one to assume that the 200 watt adapter is not enough power to supply the laptop the correct amount of wattage to keep the battery charged and power the laptop.  The system has the latest BIOS and the GPU and CPU are both undervolted which in theory should help this problem.  Is this designed into the laptop as part of the adaptive battery charging or is there an issue with the laptops?  I had the same issue on a 2060 version from Best Buy so i do not think this to be an issue with my unit alone.  I also bought the OMEN 330 watt supply and an barrel adapter to use on the laptop.  The issue with it is it will charge the unit but as soon as the computer goes under load it triggers the prchot message and the laptop throttles down to 750MHz on all cores.  I'm not quite sure why it is doing this but in theory the 330 watt charger should work on a 2020 OMEN.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@jstuart83 

Manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06638089.pdf

The series only has two options: 150W and 200W. Yours is a 200W. You can use higher wattage adapter but to be sure the port is right. My older Omen uses 250W charger.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yes you are correct I have the 200 watt power adapter.  Looking at hardware info the max power drain on the cpu and gpu was 186 watts.  This was not the average just the maxes and im not sure they were at the same time.  The omen 330 watt adapter has a 7.4mm X 5mm plug and the 2020 15 inch omen has a 4.5mm X 3mm plug.  I have an adapter ro bring the 7.4 down to a 4.5 that will plug into the omen.  As I mentioned when the laptop goes into a load with the 330 watt adapter the CPU throws the BD PRO error in throttle stop and the cpu throttles ro 825 MhZ

HP Recommended

Same problem. I have an Omen 2020 model with intel 10th generation and RTX 2070 Max-Q.

It drains the battery during gaming session even if it is plugin.......

It drains the battery even when it is shut down

HP Recommended

Yea apparently this is a design flaw.   I played for 4 hours last night and the computer went from 100 percent charge to 53 percent. They have even taken measures to make sure you cant use a larger supply.  I bought the omen 330W adapter to use with an adapter to the correct barrel size and the computer throttles almost immediately when the machine is under a load. It throws the bchot or one of those thermal errors according to throttle stop unless you turn the monitoring of that signal off, which is risky.  This is something that dell and other manufactures do so people don't use the wrong adapters for their laptops but being that I'm trying an OMEN branded power brick that cost me 150 bucks form HP this makes no sense what so ever.  banhien you are incorrect you cannot use a higher wattage charger and I am aware of what came with it.  HP needs to address this issue, most likely it could be fixed with a BIOS update being that you can use throttle stop to ignore that signal but I doubt that will happen. 

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the model with the 300 hz monitor and I made a few attempts during game sessions.

If i put the refresh rate from 300 to 60 hz, the battery doesn't drain while the notebook is plugin. 

Which kind of monitor have you got? The 300 hz model?

HP Recommended

HI,330W add Adapter Connector Converter 7.4x5.0mm to 4.5x3.0mm.

https://www.pccharger.com/collections/hp/products/new-hp-925142-850-330w-ac-adapter-for-hp-omen-x-17...

HP Recommended

I'm well aware of the size of the connector on the laptop and the size of the power adapter. As posted in one of my earlier posts.

Also yes it has the 300hz screen.  What's the point of having it for gaming if I have to set it to 60hz  you should have bought a cheaper laptop.  That's not a solution.  

HP Recommended

My statement was not a suggestion for a solution, but it was a comparison to understand if the power supply was actually underpowered compared to the needs of the laptop

I bought a 300 hz to use it, of course, not to use a 60 hz 

HP Recommended

Ahh I got you, I miss understood the post, yea that helps to strengthen the argument. Your saying just the switch between 60hz and 300hz is enough to cause the power drain.   That tells me someone made a mistake in the design.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.