Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop PC - 17-w000nl (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I would like to ask you about my laptop HP omen 17 about low FPS performances (average 21 fps) and severe FPS drops (from average 21 down to 9).

Specs:

Windows 10 64bit

ram: 16gb

processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 4 core, 8 logic processors

Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 965M

I tried everything, updating everything on computer including graphics card, optimizing game, I tried playing it in low mode with 800x400 and turning everything off. The problem isn't solved. Didn't find any solutions on the internet either. 

My power adaptor is 120W and I know HP did recall and change them for free, but I wasn't aware of it.

The performances are the same regardless of the game I play.

So, it runs Witcher 3 at 20 fps, and it does the same with Skyrim SE.

I used to think Witcher 3 was too much for my laptop so I didn't take 20 fps seriously, but when I started playing Skyrim SE which is much less demanding, with the same performances I realised something is wrong.

Any suggestions please, because computer with these specs should run much better.

Thank you very much in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@lobo666 Greetings from the HP Community!

Here are a few steps that should help your cause:

Right-click your desktop background and select NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also find this tool by performing a Start menu (or Start screen) search for NVIDIA Control Panel or by right-clicking the NVIDIA icon in your system tray and selecting Open NVIDIA Control Panel.

To quickly set a system-wide preference, you could use the Adjust image settings with the preview option. For example, if you have old hardware that struggles to play the games you want to play, you may want to select “Use my preference emphasizing” and move the slider all the way to “Performance.” This trades graphics quality for an increased frame rate.

By default, the “Use the advanced 3D image settings” option is selected. You can select Manage 3D settings and change advanced settings for all programs on your computer or just for specific games. NVIDIA keeps a database of the optimal settings for various games, but you’re free to tweak individual settings here. Just mouse-over an option for an explanation of what it does.

If you have a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology — that is, both NVIDIA and Intel graphics — this is the same place you can choose which applications will use the NVIDIA hardware and which will use the Intel hardware.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher Many thanks for your reply.

I am aware of the Nvidia control panel and related settings. I confirm I did before your recommended settings and I've just double-checked them.

I've also set which .exe should be run on the GPU (Nvidia Geforce GTX965M) and also specified wherever possible 'high performances'.

Unfortunately, all those settings have had no impact at all on frame rates.

The hardware I got shouldn't struggle with a game like Skyrim SE.

Also setting 'excellent performance' power plan, maximum performance in battery setting, maximum performance in the integrated graphics card (intel GC control panel) have no impact at all.

I checked task manager for background apps and so on. Nothing.

I disable the internet while playing.

No malware (as I said it is a very well looked after laptop), entirely dust-free.

If you could help me further with that I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Renato

HP Recommended

@lobo666 Here's a list of steps and information that should help your cause: click here to resolve the issue,

And let me know how that pans out.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the link.

Unfortunately nothing new. Everything already updated, always pugged in the AC (120 W),  all other apps closed, game mode enabled.

All suggested tricks, such as v-sync, don't change the performance in my case.

The PeP monitor is 60Hz, but the laptop struggles to give 20 FPS, so even here that's not the issue.

Not much tearing.

On the link, it says to lower the graphic settings to increase the FPS. I knew it, but not always is true. In fact, the performances I get are better when I push harder the hardware with higher graphic settings. In this case, Ultra and High do work better with slightly more FPS than Medium and Low settings.

What Medium and Low settings do is just give me more throttling and instability (in this regard, in the power options I set to never switch off the HDD.

Please, any more ideas would be very welcome, thanks!

HP Recommended

By any chance do you have Razer synapse running or like any programs that would make your games run "better"? It would mess up my computer on gears of war i would get 10-20 fps basically on most games it would ruin it. when i uninstalled it i started getting almost 60fps and up

Just a suggestion. 

HP Recommended

Hi @YoelChuyQ and many thanks for your suggestion.

Yes, I have Razer Cortex installed. I just tried to uninstall it, restart the PC and launch the game.

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. Everything unvaried...

HP Recommended

Sorry about that It worked on both laptops and pc's so i thought it would work.

Perhaps it could be the charger because when i play games without the charger the laptop runs like trash.

Also have you opend task manager and seen if your computer is using anything else besides the games your running?

Have you tried disabling overlays like discord, steam, origin, nvidia, or windows game mode?

HP Recommended

nothing in the background running (especially no chrome-related tasks), and no overlay in place.

Also tried the game mode on and off. Actually I'm not sure if it does anything.

I'm glad you mentioned the charger. I use the stock HP charger 120W. I read someone getting a 240W charger and getting double performances. If you have reliable insight about that please let me know it!

I also made many hours of researches and found a few things that helped me.

So if other hp / omen users will read here they will know how I improved (slightly) the performances and reduced heating:

1. uninstalled the Energy Star app (it was from manufacture) 

2. uninstalled Intel thermal framework (reduced thermal throttling)

3. enabled ultimate performance windows power plan

4. in Intel rapid storage > performance > link power management > disabled (this alone gave me +6 FPS in-game open environment, and +15 FPS in-game close environment (!!!))

5. I got Intel Exteme tuning utility > core > core voltage offset > -0.150V . This allows keeping cooler the CPU and avoid then to hit the power limitations (WARNING - how much you can undervolt depends on your CPU)

So, all the above is leading me to believe that:

- my laptop is a gaming laptop which has got plenty of bios, CPU usage, etc limits to make sure it doesn't have to consume power. It doesn't make sense...

- the stock charger is insufficient. the GPU needs 160W and I think that HP provided with 120W chargers for weight/energy saving reasons. Which again for a gaming laptop doesn't make sense

@YoelChuyQ I thank you for your help. Let me know if you have other ideas and inputs

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.