Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop - 17-cb1005na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all. I've got a 2020/21 Omen 17 with i9-10885h, 32Gb DDR4 and an RTX 2080 Super.

It's usually sat under the desk closed, connected to a widescreen monitor.

I've started playing Red Dead 2 and noticed after a little while significant FPS drop to around 9fps.

On checking Omen hub my CPU was running at 98/99/100 degrees C, and the GPU was around the 90 mark too.

I'm guessing this isn't normal and could be causing damage? Also would explain the significant performance drops I'm seeing?

The laptop itself sits on a small shelf which takes up about the middle 1/3 with either end of the laptop hanging over so the bottom fans have clear air flow and they don't look clogged with dust. When I opened it up, the bit above the keyboard was too hot to touch.

It has a 3 year HP warranty. Is this a hardware issue, design fault, software problem?

I'm looking at a cooling pad for it, but given it's still in warranty and was a very expensive bit of kit, ideally I wanted it sorted by HP (if it is a hardware or design fault)

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JimBob2020 wrote:

... It's usually sat under the desk closed, connected to a widescreen monitor....

@JimBob2020 

Yes, that is normal for HP Omen machines with 200W or higher chargers (have you tried to touch an incandescent 100W globe when on ?). Keep it in a close area won't help because running machine over 90°C for  long period would damage machine in no time. Please try

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/best-laptop-cooling-pad

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.