Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17-w220nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've owned my Omen 17 for a little while now and it rarely if ever leaves the desk where it sits. I'm not sure when it happened exactly but I've recently noticed there's a sizable swell and significant warping of the case to the right of the mouse pad and the lower right part of the keyboard. From looking around on the forums it seems this is where the battery is located and usually means the battery has swelled. I just checked my manufacturer warranty and found it has expired, and I'm unsure whether I can get this fixed or whether the battery and/or laptop is safe to use. Is there anything that can be done? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @BenSwolo 

That model is about 2-1/2 years old and unless you purchased an extended warranty, I doubt there is anything that can be done now.

Yes the battery has swelled. Those type of batteries are known to do that after they reach a certain age and also if they get hot while being used for an extended period of time. Its recommended to remove it, even if you don't replace it. Its safe to run the laptop on the power cord with out one. HP doesn't sell them so you will have to shop the web and grab a third party battery.

But that models case is a little fragile to take apart. It can be done but care must be taken while doing so as you have to use a spudger (or credit card) and carefully separate the seam held together by plastic clips (and screws).

Here is the manual that gives you an idea what it looks like, page 34... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05260118

With that said...  I had a laptop that swelled a little bit and I kept using it for a while, but I wouldn't do that if it swelled a lot.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @BenSwolo 

That model is about 2-1/2 years old and unless you purchased an extended warranty, I doubt there is anything that can be done now.

Yes the battery has swelled. Those type of batteries are known to do that after they reach a certain age and also if they get hot while being used for an extended period of time. Its recommended to remove it, even if you don't replace it. Its safe to run the laptop on the power cord with out one. HP doesn't sell them so you will have to shop the web and grab a third party battery.

But that models case is a little fragile to take apart. It can be done but care must be taken while doing so as you have to use a spudger (or credit card) and carefully separate the seam held together by plastic clips (and screws).

Here is the manual that gives you an idea what it looks like, page 34... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05260118

With that said...  I had a laptop that swelled a little bit and I kept using it for a while, but I wouldn't do that if it swelled a lot.

HP Recommended

Alright, kind of figured as much. Yeah the warping is pretty bad, even if I replaced the battery; and she's my daily user so might be time for a replacement. Thanks for the quick response I appreciate it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.