Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
CB100 17t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,
My laptop works fine on battery but, when I plug it into the 330w charger it shuts down randomly.

1- When battery is charged at 20-30% and the laptop is plugged in, it shuts down in BIOS or Windows environment.

2- When battery is charged at 100% and laptop is plugged in, it shuts down immediately in games once the cpu reaches 40w and gpu 150w. Like in red dead redemption 2, when the game session loading finishes, and cpu gpu wattages go up from idle wattages to what the game needs (150w gpu and 40w cpu) laptop shuts down immediately. Also in  benchmark apps, CPU intensive tasks it shuts down.

Temps are normal in idle (40-50c) and even 1 second before shutdown (cpu 70-80c max and gpu 60-70max)

I disabled turbo boost and locked the gpu on 700mV 1300Mhz, and ran the CSGO after like 2 minutes, video output to the external monitor through HDMI port stops and second monitor goes black while its still detected by windows.

Things I have done: updating drivers, updating bios to the latest, performing 2 clean windows installations (in both I experienced a shutdown during the installation). Laptop is brand new and it has been like this since the day first I turned it on.

Please help me!

Event viewer logs: https://mega.nz/file/naA2zDoL#8kulBOF1BQGJRS9Tf5_Fyu_fA6LLVEHVZr_PXd_wziQ

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Jsmith6 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the laptop shut down randomly.

Please capture the error code or message on the blue or black screen if it appeared before the computer turned off automatically, I would request you to follow the below steps to capture and reply back with the error message/code to identify the issue and find a permanent fix: 

• In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings. 

• In the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings. 

• Under System Failure, remove the check mark next to automatically restart, and then click OK. 

• Restart the computer to apply the change. 

• The computer no longer restarts automatically when a blue screen error occurs. 

For more details: click here 

 However, if the computer shuts down and the lights on both the power button and the charger port turns off, 

you may need to try with an alternate power adapter and reseat the battery before you try using it again 

And if the issue persists, please Contact HP as this could be a hardware failure. 

Please reply back with the error code as the issue is code specific and it would be rather easier to provide an accurate solution using the same. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.